Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lie Detector Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
its quite simple really

not sure about exact parts - I suspect that it doesn't matter that much - its quite a simple design. My best guess would be 1Ks for the resistors and 1uF for the caps.

the component marked 'M1' is an ammeter.

Bassically, when you lie, because of various factors, you skin resistance goes down. So you place the electrodes on someones skin, and if they lie, the resistance accross the electrodes will change, and the ammount of current flowing through the ammeter will also change, and the needle will move dramatically (hopefully). This movement shows that they are lying. The variable resistor is to adjust the sensitivity, and some people may have different natural resistances, and some adjustment may be needed.

Does that help at all?

Tim

Yeah, thanks that helped alot, but I still have a few more questions. Do I need to get 2, 4.5v batteries, or can I use a single 9v in some way? Also I'm a little confused as to what that arrow pointing to the R2 on the schematic is. The final question is on the Q1, how do I know the difference between NPN PNP, I know the schematic shows NPN, but what's the difference, and are there actually seperate transistors or if is simply the way you utilize it.

Thanks again :)

This may be really stupid questions but
(1) The potentiometer has 3 prongs on it, 2 in the back and 1 in the middle front, how do I install this for this project?
(2) Which way does the transistor get placed in? one side is larger and one side is smaller on the head, which faces which way and what not?

Thanks again :?

The potentiometer has 3 prongs on it, 2 in the back and 1 in the middle front, how do I install this for this project?
The two in the back are the top and bottom pin in the picture and the one towards the front would be the pin that connects to the top in the schematic.
Which way does the transistor get placed in? one side is larger and one side is smaller on the head, which faces which way and what not?
It depends on the particular transistor your using. If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader just goto google and type in the transistor part number and look for a PDF file in the search results. This will most likely be the data sheet. **broken link removed** Thats an example of a datasheet if you havn't seen one before. It'll tell you the orientation of the pins.

vaineo said:
The potentiometer has 3 prongs on it, 2 in the back and 1 in the middle front, how do I install this for this project?
The two in the back are the top and bottom pin in the picture and the one towards the front would be the pin that connects to the top in the schematic.
:?
basically, the middle pin (or the pin thats out on its own) on the potentiometer is the one with the arrow on it (on the diag). The other two pins are the other two pins - i.e. it doesn't matter which way round they go.

There is a difference between PNP and NPN, both in the way they are made and what they do. So if the diag says NPN, you need NPN.

Do I need to get 2, 4.5v batteries, or can I use a single 9v in some way?
as long as the batteries are the same, it prob doesn't make much difference what you use - two 1.5v may work instead. As for one battery, have a quick look at https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/help-question.8755/ does that help at all? Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back