Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led targets project for paint ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I think I have enough detail and will look up and order.

The terminal Blocks, how many needed? Is this just for hooking up pos/neg of battery?

The terminal Blocks, how many needed?
This depends on the physical layout and usage of your targets/panels. If you are going to move the panels frequently then plugs and sockets would be better than terminal blocks for most of the connections. Will the LED strips be remote from the rest of the circuitry, or will each strip be close to it's associated photocell? I can't visualise your layout. How will you avoid paint splatter getting on to the LED strips, or doesn't it matter? Can you post a sketch of your proposed set-up?
BTW, I've edited '9' to read '6' in post #18.

Resistors are 2k2 (=2.2kΩ), 10k and 470k as shown. Axial-leaded type, through-hole 1/4 or 1/8 Watt.
Here's how I envisage 4 targets sharing an LM324 :
TargetsX4.gif
Four such groups-of-4 would occupy one 4'x4' panel. Inter-group connection of the 3 buses within a panel would be via pcb-to-wire terminal blocks. Inter-panel connections would be via plugs and sockets. All 64 targets would share 1 Vref generator (cell + potentiometer).

Yes to the diagram, looks good. I could not figure out how to send a diagram but I envision 4 - 4x4 panels in 2x2 formations making up 2 sides butted up together to make an 8x8 wall. Each panel would have 16 targets - in a 4x4 pattern, so your vision is correct as to how to wire in groups of 4.

Questions for supplies:
What is the number of circuits or wire entries, what is the pitch, will these be top terminations?
What is the specific temp coefficient needed for capacitors

At this time, to produce one prototype, I need to order:

One Photocell
One quad IC
One - 100k Potentiometer
One - 100k Trimmer
One - Ceramic Capacitor
One - 2k2 Resistor - 10K
One - 2k2 Resistor - 470K
One - 4x4" strip board
Terminal Blocks - how many?
Wire - what size
Solder - recommended type, size

Again, thanks for your help..

I could not figure out how to send a diagram
Click 7th icon in the Post a Reply box, then Browse.
temp coefficient
Ignore it.

Ok, here's a list with suggested Digikey order codes for one prototype target :-

2 off photocell PDV-8103-ND
1 off opamp LM324NFS-ND
1 off 100k pot CT2268-ND
1 off 100k trimmer 3319P-104-ND
1 off ceramic cap 399-9776-ND
1 off 2.2k resistor CF14JT2K20CT
1 off 10k resistor CF14JT10K0CT-ND
1 off 470k resistor CF14JT470KCT-ND
2 off 3-way terminal blocks A98334-ND
1 off 100 ft reel 24AWG hook-up wire C2003B-100-ND
1 off small pack 60/40 rosin-cored leaded solder 473-1160-ND [Observe health precautions when using]

Total list cost (excl shipping etc) = $27.48.

The most expensive item is the wire ($14.83). You will need only 2 ft or so of this type per board for jumpers between components, hence ~ 32 ft for all 16 boards. Cheaper loudspeaker wire, or low-current mains wire , will be ok for running the 3 'bus' wires between boards and for interconnecting the 4 panels.

I could not find a suitable strip-board listed by Digikey so you would have to source that elsewhere.

That's not strip-board. It's point-to-point / matrix board. Not so easy to use.

I ordered supplies from digi-key.
I found strip board from Amazon, and Mouser, both comparable price ($10), mouser part number 854-5t3u, both same side - approx. 100x160mm
I am also looking on youtube for learning and tips in making circuit boards.

With careful component placement, and mounting the resistors 'on end', you'd hopefully get 2 circuit boards each 100mm x 80mm out of that strip-board. You can do a dummy layout before soldering anything.

64 of those will set you back $1248 (incl shipping). It's not clear from the spec whether light switches the relay coil current on or off. If on (which would be my guess), then there will be a continuous total current drain of 23W just for the electronics of 64 targets, so battery life would be ~halved. The electronics I proposed draw negligible current.

Just happen to see this and wanted to run it by you. Will be in touch when I receive order and ready for assembly.
Hello, sorry for delay. I have products from digikey. I have been in production with other events as of late. I will be back to this asap - mid October. Just wanted to update you. Will be in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back