Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Leads & Transistor Leads are rusting away.???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the price of solder is unbelievable these days!

It's also kind of unbelievable that Radio Shack is trying to stage a comeback with the same old products.

There is a real, live Radio Shack in Merida, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico....our temporary home (Merida, not Radio Shack) for the next month or two (effective Covid-19 prevention measures, plenty of outdoor dining options).

20201130_110324.jpg

I can do you one better, ELEM ELECTRONICS, near Boardman Ohio (PA/OH boarder) is open and operating as a RADIO SHACK DEALER.

Any casual visitor couldn't see that it isn't a full fledged RADIOSHACK.

1EB17E84-FD6B-41FB-8679-5797E0187CD9.jpeg

I thought $10.99 per roll was expensive.

Nope, that sounds dead cheap - neither lead nor tin are cheap metals - solder has never been cheap. But 500 grams of solder lasts a LONG time for home use.

No wonder you've got problems, using plumbers corrosive solder, putting boards in jars full of damp air, and then cheap Chinese batteries.

WHO was it that said these Sunbean batteries are junk Chinese Rice batteries. Tag on battery says, Product of Montreal Canada. Date is 2018. I bought these batteries 3 weeks ago they are dead already 1.8v for 2 in series. I refuse to pay $3 each for better throw away batteries. I can buy rechargeable eneloop batteries for that price. I have a roll of 60/40 solder.

100_8665.JPG

100_8666.JPG

Last edited:
The label says the battery is imported by a company in Canada, not that it's manufactured in Canada.

The label is copyrighted in 2018. That's not the date of manufacture or a guarantee date.

The package might indicate the country of origin and the date of manufacture.

At any rate, as a number of people have said, "heavy duty" batteries are crap, made to sell to the truly gullible.

Read Visitor's comment. Your reply about it being manufactured in 2018 in Canada is not indicated on the battery. Read the label more carefully and you'll see a (c) symbol, suggesting the label design was done in 2018 (that is not a date of manufacture). Also, there is nothing there saying the battery was manufactured in Canada, only that it is distributed by L'Image Home Products Inc., which is located in Canada. These are HUGE differences.

For your reading enjoyment and enlightenment.

Alkaline and Heavy Duty Application Notes & Product Data Sheet

This is from Rayovac, so Sunbeam batteries likely don't perform as well.

The old style Alkaline D batteries put out 8 amps. I have never tested the Heavy Duty batteries not sure how many amps they are? Some of the rechargable D batteries are 60 amps. There is a YouTube video where someone connected enough rechargeable D batteries in series to get 60v 60a video show him welding with D batteries. I know 3/32" diameter 7014 rods weld easy on 60v 60a on my old Lincoln welder, I bet D batteries won't weld very long.

I forgot that circle C mean copyright.

The old style Alkaline D batteries put out 8 amps. I have never tested the Heavy Duty batteries not sure how many amps they are? Some of the rechargable D batteries are 60 amps. There is a YouTube video where someone connected enough rechargeable D batteries in series to get 60v 60a video show him welding with D batteries. I know 3/32" diameter 7014 rods weld easy on 60v 60a on my old Lincoln welder, I bet D batteries won't weld very long.

Oh. I misunderstood something along the way apparently. I thought you were trying to flash LEDs! I'm so sorry I didn't understand this tread is about using crappy batteries to weld.

The old style Alkaline D batteries put out 8 amps. I have never tested the Heavy Duty batteries not sure how many amps they are?

'Heavy Duty' just means the battery is so crap we're trying to con you - and Alkaline batteries are FAR more powerful.

Compare the graphs I did many years ago, look at the Alkaline and then compare the 'High Power' and 'Heavy Duty'/

Also, there is nothing there saying the battery was manufactured in Canada,

It also says the Sunbeam name is only used under license. Just like the junk being sold on TV under license of Bell&Howell. Gary is the person all of the junk being sold using a once trusted name is pointed at. Doesn't keep up with the fact those companies went bankrupt, but kept the rights to the name, to still make money.

It also says the Sunbeam name is only used under license. Just like the junk being sold on TV under license of Bell&Howell. Gary is the person all of the junk being sold using a once trusted name is pointed at. Doesn't keep up with the fact those companies went bankrupt, but kept the rights to the name, to still make money.

I hope Honeywell went out of business. 1983 I needed a 25 cent replacement microswitch to repair a chart recorder in a 60 ft industrial oven. Honey well wanted $150 for a microswitch. Original manufacture part numbers had been removed, only numbers were Honeywell numbers. I just happen to have 3 of those exact same microswitches at home, made by a company in Chicago Illinois. I called the Chicago company & talked to engineering department. A standard switch had 3 screws left out so the screw holes could be used to solder on wires. Honeywell had the switch classified as a special item sold only to them because 3 screws were missing. I ordered a replacement switch over night delivery, soldered on the wires and had the oven running in 2 minutes. Plant manager said, order replacement oven controls from a different company throw Honeywell junk in the trash so I did. LOL. We had 3 other big ovens with Honeywell control we trashed them all.

I'm having a lot of trouble following this tread. I thought it was about flashing LEDs but then it was about welding with arteries but now microswitches? I'm so confused.

I'm having a lot of trouble following this tread. I thought it was about flashing LEDs but then it was about welding with arteries but now microswitches? I'm so confused.

Read subject line, It was originally about, LED Leads & Transistor Leads are rusting away??? Several people changes the subject to, Chinese rice batteries, copyright, battery label, PC boards, radio shack, types of batteries, steel wires, solder, moisture, etc & it want crazy after that. LOL. No 1 has mentioned earth quakes yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back