Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilber256

Hello All, Thanks for having me in your group. Up front I am a disabled senior with no electronics experience at all and to old to learn much. I have always wanted to learn electronics design, repair, build ect. but never got the chance, I envy you guys and have a world of respect for your knowledge and ability.
I appreciate any and all help/advice given on my little project.
Now for my problem. I have two LED drivers that work but must be for small projects they lite up little strips. The dope on them is below.

Driver #1 Permlight products corp.
model: 60-12D-A Input: 100-130V, 50-60Hz, 0.78-0.53A Output: 12VDC MAX, 5A, 60W Max

Driver #2 Permlight for signs
60-12DC, 60W LED Driver, Input: 120/240 VAC, 1.1A, 60Hz Output: 12VDC 5A

I copied the info just as it is written. Now Does this mean one goes by the secondary for max load or the primary? If the secondary then I should be able to use 60 watt Led's, correct?
If that's correct then I should be able to have 6000 lumens if 100 lumen for each watt, correct. Then I should be able to combine both drivers in one light fixture and have 12k lumens @ 100 lumen per watt. If I can find 60 watt 12 VDC chips, correct?

I am wanting to take a old city utilities 400w MH street light and replace it with LEDs I removed the ballast and cap and there is plenty of room for a game of touch football in there. I continue this Q&A session not knowing what the answers are to the questions already asked. But I need some really bright light as it will be at the chicken, guineas, ducks pens and my wife may not can feed and gather eggs in the dark, plus I hope this helps avoid stepping on a snake and requiring me to take over feeding and gathering duties.

I would use the streetlight with the 400 MH but warm up time is the killer, if it had a strike I would take that 36k lumens in a minute but being old and broken down makes it difficult to install that 50 lb puppy 16-18 ft up. I will hush to see if any of my questions are true, if not for just surviving on a small monthly income I would just buy a 250-300w led light but I just plain ole can't afford it.
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong place I could not find a more suitable forum than this one. Thanks all for your replies and please go easy on this old man.

The problem with LEDs is they opperate at around 2V. Your power supplies are 12V so you could waste a lot of power in current limiting resistors. A simple solution might be mr16 downlight LEDs. These tend to be around 7W and give out around 500 lumens. You also have the advantage that they're not polarized.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, How much heat does mr16 leds produce? Halogen bulbs are super hot. Keep in mind this is a totally enclosed fixture, i can cut a hole and install a fan for exhaust I figgured (that's southern for figured) I would have to do that if loaded up with Led's.
What about tubular halogen replaced with led? Wonder what a led replacement for 500 watt tubular halogen looks like?
Thanks for your help.
Hot in dixie!

Normal halogen downlights are 50W and get very hot. The LED ones are 7W and run just warm.

I'm assuming that what you're calling drivers are wall wart type power supplies. Could you post a picture?

Mike.

They measure 8-3/8 in x 2-1/2 in. i am having problems with the pics if you need them I will try again. I do have a few of the plug in wall outlet 120VAC to???

Thanks

What about a 120v Smart IC COB Led chip from land of the chinese? They make excellent products on everything else they send over here so why should LED chips be any different. Actually I have a China special 100w 240v cob smart chip but don't have 240v out to the area I need to light. Anyone know of a cheap way to buck 240v to 120v?
Thanks fer (southern ) your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back