Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Latex Problem with Summation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

Trying to display an expression with summation results in the sum indexes NOT above and below the summation symbol as they should. Instead they display to the right.

Interestingly, using the Latex Editor here on ETO it displays properly.

[LATEX]

\sum _{m=1} ^{4}

[/LATEX]

In the above, the "m=1" should be under the upper case sigma symbol, and "4" should be above it not to the right of it. In the Latex Editor it displays fine. I tried using a double ^ but it complained that it was 'blacklisted'.

Last edited:
[latex]\displaystyle\sum_{m=1}^{4} m[/latex]

Works for me! Actually both forms are permissible.

Last edited:
Hi

But you used:

\displaystyle\sum_{m=1}^{4} m

[LATEX]
\displaystyle\sum_{m=1}^{4} m

[/LATEX]

while the editor does not do that.

What made you use the word "displaystyle" ?

Last edited:
Hi again Keep,

Well thanks for the info there. My only wonder now is why the Latex Editor shows the form you typed without typing that extra word "displaystyle". The editor must automatically add 'displaystyle' i guess.

Hi EM,

Oh great sounds good. I ran into this problem just a week ago when i tried to post a Latex version of a simple summation formula and i used the nice editor to construct the required formatted Latex text, then to my surprise when i saved and went back to proof read the post i saw that the summation indexes were misplaced. It looked kind of weird that way but i guess people would understand what it meant. The new way looks so much nicer though the same as we would find in a text book. I went back and edited my post with the summation to include that extra keyword so now it looks nice again, but it would be nice if the software automatically 'fixes' that at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back