Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Keyless Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadRacer

How's it going guys? New member, but not necessarily a newb at electronics. Current going for my EE degree :) (just finished my 1st yr). Anyways, I was tossing around the idea of a keyless ignition system for my car the other day. Now, the way my current ignition works is it measures the value of a resistor with-in the key and if the proper voltage drop is seen, the car will start. I want to do away completely with the key, yet still retain this feature (in a way); I want the car to only start when a certain device (chip, key fob, etc) is with-in a certain range (looking for 5ft or so). I was thinking of using a RFID device for this, but was wondering if you guys know of anything better/cheaper? Most RFID devices I find in my price range only have 10cm or so range :(. Pretty much, I'm looking to build a device that, when a chip is with-in it's range, will send out a voltage to the ignition system. The starter will then be activated by a NO momentary button.

Last edited:
Why not to use a remote control? I think there are some RFID standards that ranges up to 5 meters (15 ft), but I have to confirm.

Remote start? The car is a manual, so I'd have to bypass the neutral safety switch, which I don't want to as the car's parking brake does not work. I want it so I have a chip or something on my key ring, in my pocket; sit int he car and just hit a switch and it starts up. Most systems I've found retail for nearly $500, and I think I can build one for cheaper than that....Plus, I'd get to customize it abit :)

Last edited:
You'll still need to input the key in the car, as you don't want to bypass the security sistem, won't you?

The switch will be in the keyring?

No; you know what the remote entry key fobs look like? I'm thinking of either implementing into that, or another key ring I have. It will be a wireless device that lets the car know I am there, instead of someone else. I then will push a button in the car by the shifter that will send a signal to the starter solenoid; if the wireless device on my key chain isn't there, the signal won't be sent.

You'll still need to input the key in the car, as you don't want to bypass the security sistem, won't you?

No; I'm wanting to use this in place of the system. If I still needed the key, it wouldn't be a keyless ignition :p

That's why I suggested the remote control. With the rf remote control/switch, you'll be able to send security codes followed by the "start up" command.

The remote control I'm referring at is just the "remote entry key fob".

Last edited:
How about a combination lock?
get 10 position rotary switches
the more you get, the more complex the lock
wire them so they all have to be at certain numbers in order to provide power to a push button
push the button to start.
You could even have different combos make different parts of the car work.
3-4-2-5-9 turns all power on, lets you start the car
3-4-2-7-3 Just turns on ACC, lets you listen to the radio
You could set it up so that any other combination causes the horn to honk when the button is pushed. =D

**broken link removed**

That's similar to what I'm wanting; might get it and just mod it to meet my needs. What do you guys think? Only question I have is, how do you program it to identify the right keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back