Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Just scored myself 5 (nearly) free powersupplies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

They're cleaning out the one floor of my building at work. Its filled with a ton of old papers and a bunch of old test equipment. They went through and pulled all the other powersupplies from the test stands but they left this guy behind:
**broken link removed**
I think they left it because it doesnt have a keypad on it and didn't realize it was a powersupply.

It has 5 modules in it:
1 - 8V 16A
2 - 20V 7.5A
1 - 60V 2.5A
1 - 120V 1.25A

There is a special keyboard that can be used but I couldn't find it down there. So it looks like I will have to use the GPIB interface to control it. I also scored a GPIB card that I think will plug in to my PC at home so it shouldnt take much to get it up and running. I'll probably make a simple user interface that will mount in the 3 empty bays. That way I wouldnt have to have my PC on for my powersupply to work.

Here's the best part! Its only going to cost me $0.25 /lb to buy it. Thats the going rate for scrap electronics.

They also have an older machine down there for placing through-hole components. I'm pretty sure they are gonna scrap it as well (I'm hoping they will). We quit making our own PCBs when everything switched over to surface mount so its been sitting for 10+ years. It probably has 4-5 decent sized servo motors with built in rotary encoders, atleast 25 solenoid valves, and a ton of other fun stuff. I think the base would be a great starting point for a DIY CNC mill. I dont have enough space for it though :( I'm gonna gut what I can if they do decide to scrap it.

File the purchase receipt in a safe place, should an issuer ever arise over it. I've done that in the past when purchasing salvaged items from an employer. It's a business afterall.

Hitechs advice sounds verryyy good. Looks like they could/will be VERY nice power supplies, and good luck on the pick and place machine, should be a lot of really high quality drive circuitry and components. Picking up scrap from work can turn into bad business for you if you don't have a receipt though. If you get the guys that are clearing it outs okay, make sure it follows up to accounting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back