Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Its currently -6F outside. Where are all the global warming freaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to go as far as Mars.
More and more satellites, ocean buoys, high level data collecting planes etc. are being used to measure temperature. What is it compared to?

Pommie said:
You don't have to go as far as Mars.
More and more satellites, ocean buoys, high level data collecting planes etc. are being used to measure temperature. What is it compared to?

It's compared to yesterday's reading... That's why they have trouble deciding if it's global warming, or another ice age...

You can't possibly tel whether the climate is warming or cooling based on day to day temperatures. Either way, the earth's climate is changing (like it has been throughout the earth's history). Governments around the world are being foolish by trying (in vein) to prevent it when it would be far more sensible to invest more in preparing for climate change.

Actually it is hero. Changes in the min and max temperatures over time will correlate to the 'available thermal energy' within a system when integrated. Available energy (basically global temperature) is directly measurable in the volatility of the system at large. Over what time periods you care to observe upon is a totally different concept.
Modern climate data doesn't go back (direct measurement) more than about 100 years at it's most course level. The earth is somewhere in the area of 4 billion years old. Shot in the dark doesn't even calculate at that point =) The exact state of the global climate won't likely be know within the current human lifespan.

Exactly my point about yesterday's readings, one day, one hundred years... Even rough guesses from extreme weather conditions in written history. We don't have anyway way of defining what is normal changes, and what is man made. There is nothing to compare with. The planet is constantly changing on it's own, in big ways. We don't have the power to make a huge impact.

Global warming/cooling, it's going to happen regardless, just like earthquakes, volcanos, and huricanes. What concerns me is the trash, polution, and destruction of the natural landscape. These things we can control, and should, otherwise we'll turn this planet into a non-flushable porcelain bowl.

Hero999 said:
Don't forget that scientists have been wrong many times before, remember the millennium bug and how everyone overreacted to it?
The reason why Y2k was not a problem was because companies like the one I worked for spent a lot of time and money modifying its computers so it would not happen.

I know of a couple of companies that did nothing and did have a Y2k problem.

As I understand it, only 2 digits were allocated for the year data, so at mid night on 31 Dec 1999, the unmodified computers would have changed to 1/1/00 meaning 1/1/1900!

Any programmes that used the date as an input would have had a problem.

A recent conference of the world's scientists concluded that there is a 90% chance that global warming is caused by the activities of man.

90% chance caused by man? Based on what data, could you please quote the idiot that said that? =)

Global warming???? This week Monday, the temperature at 7 am was -44 C.
The next morning, -41 C. Wednesday, -37C. Thursday and today, -34 C.

WTF is going on? And weather forecast is, this trend, will last at least for another week.

I'm seriously thinking of buying some property in Costa Rica.

I'll admit that last summer, we hit 39C for about a week straight in July. It rained 1 day, and then dry spell for 8 weeks, rain another 2 days, and then another dry spell for 8 weeks. I mowed the lawn, maybe 4 times last year. This is great, as I have over 3 acres to take care of.

Global warming, where are you when I need you???

I think it is a cycle that was going to happen either way. And dates back longer than us here.

And with the trees we cut down to build more homes and the cars we drive and add more for the new homes, the cycle will use that to make a point with us..

Sceadwian said:
90% chance caused by man? Based on what data, could you please quote the idiot that said that? =)
Don't you read the news papers or watch the news on TV?

It was a conference of scientists from all over the world.

Google Earth found Steep Rock, Manitoba, Canada way out in the sticks and fairly far North. I am glad that I am not there. My temperatures lately are about -5C in the daytime. The coldest day this winter was -15C. Next week has one day forcasted to be -22C.

hjl4 said:
Global warming???? This week Monday, the temperature at 7 am was -44 C.
The next morning, -41 C. Wednesday, -37C. Thursday and today, -34 C.

WTF is going on? And weather forecast is, this trend, will last at least for another week.

I'm seriously thinking of buying some property in Costa Rica.

I'll admit that last summer, we hit 39C for about a week straight in July. It rained 1 day, and then dry spell for 8 weeks, rain another 2 days, and then another dry spell for 8 weeks. I mowed the lawn, maybe 4 times last year. This is great, as I have over 3 acres to take care of.

Global warming, where are you when I need you???
Global warming is a rise in the average world temperature of a few degrees C. No-one knows how much, from memory, estimates vary from about 1 degree to 3 or more. So it won't make much difference in Canada.

In the above thread, there have been various simplistic reasons given why GW is not happening.

With that type of reasoning, you could prove that:-
the Earth is flat,
the Moon is made of green cheese and
the Moon landings were a hoax filmed in Hollywood.

If it was that easy, the world's scientists would have resolved it years ago.

audioguru said:
Google Earth found Steep Rock, Manitoba, Canada way out in the sticks and fairly far North. I am glad that I am not there. My temperatures lately are about -5C in the daytime. The coldest day this winter was -15C. Next week has one day forcasted to be -22C.

I have some carry over vacation days.. Did they say which day it would be -22C. ;)

They changed the forcast. Next Tuesday it will be -11C. The week after will be above freezing. They are just guessing. They are correct only half the time. They are wrong half the time.

Anything below 10C is cold here.

I had not seen snow until I bought a car and drove to the snow fields one winter.

Come on, everybody knows that.
The moon hoax's were filmed in New Mexico Area 51 in whatever hangar, I can't remember.
Fox had there special on air, a while back.

Global warming caused by greenhouse gases, so I just farted. Did I contribute to the problem?? I know one thing, It stinks around here.

hjl4 said:
Come on, everybody knows that.
The moon hoax's were filmed in New Mexico Area 51 in whatever hangar, I can't remember.
Fox had there special on air, a while back.
I hope you're not serious.

What some readers may not know is that the pictures of Armstrong stepping onto the Moon were received in Australia at the Parkes radio telescope since the Moon was not visible in the US at that time.

So the conspiracy theorists have to explain how a group of highly trained and experienced radio astromoners were tricked into believing that the signal was coming from the Moon when it was (according to them) done in New Mexico.

Another fact that some may not know is that, as depicted in the Australian film "The Dish", high winds blew up just before Armstrong emerged. Under normal circumstances, they would have parked the dish in its straight up position to prevent the possibility of it collapsing. So they risked not only the dish, but their own lives to bring the pictures to the world.

I wasn't there, but I know that there were quite a few abnormalities, following the lunar landing. As for radio waves, on some nights, I can get AM 774 ABC Melbourne.

So what about radio waves????
Directional antennae ???? Bounce the waves off the moon???

Conspiracy??? Probably, as everything NASA does is questionable. Everything it does is 70% military, 30% P.R.

And no I'm not ignorant. I just know something is fishy with that whole thing.
Why are they so worried about the Chinese going to the moon to setup future relay point??
That will be in 9 years. The USA has to play catchup now, and they know it. George bush, and NASA made an announcement the day after the Chinese boasted they now have the technology to do this, that they will also return to the moon. The Chinese just now have the technology??? They've been ahead for a while now. That's what happens when everything is manufactured abroad, you also hand over your technology.
If you have nothing to worry about, just sit back and relax. You've been there(to the moon) before right??? Let the Chinese, bring back a memento.
If you've been to the moon, then why not return tomorrow?? Why would it take you 50 yrs to go back. Money??? When you are a superpower in world trade, money is nothing.

I'm not getting into this though, if you do, then make another thread about it.

Considering the Russians were monitoring it all VERYclosely, and would have loved to claim it was all faked, they seemed perfectly happy that it was real.

It's just another paranoid North American scare story - just like all the alien space craft at area 51.

Why do the build orbiting space stations, instead of something on the moon? The past space stations came crashing back down on earth, this new one will also. The moon has some gravity of its own, so anything built there will stay there. The rocks and dust could also be uses in construction, save some on cost. True, fuel costs would increase, take a few more days to get there and back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back