Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Its currently -6F outside. Where are all the global warming freaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that if the technology was there in the 60's, than we should be on Mars right now with a group of scientist just like in Antarctica.

Has nothing new come out of technology in 50 yrs, except communications and speed???

We are in a technology lull then .
The focus nowadays is in communication. Instead of more pressing matters such as Global warming, economy and well being of all living things.

What a shame.

BTW, the Russians developed EMP bombs the size of a Coke can, 20yrs ago, threatening total shutdown of any nation. Just now the USA is worried about such an attack(homeland security).
Same with GPS jammers, the size of a baseball, meaning every army personnel can carry one and make satellite strategising redundant.
The Chinese can now shoot down satellites, something that was thought to be impossible.
But Americans have always bought all their technology. Very little has come out of that empire, except money and false hope. I know, I live right next door to them.
Even semiconductor refinement, came from Germany and the UK(little known fact), and of course money always talks. Silicon Valley?? Wooooopeeeee. Without the rest of the world, meaning brains, it is nothing more then minerals.
Just like the company I work for, a bunch of idiots. We are into autonomous ranged robotics, and already the Americans want to buy the idea. It isnt even completed, but my brains went into this, and because of money, my boss and the company, are ready to sell the technology to whomever has the bucks. No country has any pride left, we are all slaves to the all mighty buck.

ljcox said:
In the above thread, there have been various simplistic reasons given why GW is not happening.
To the contary, no where has anyone said that climate change isn't happening, at the moment the trend has been an increase in temperature but that can't be projected for the next 100 years, curent computer models just aren't accurate enough.

ljcox said:
With that type of reasoning, you could prove that:-
the Earth is flat,
the Moon is made of green cheese and
The only thing that's being disputed is that human activity is to blame and the kind of reasoning to suggest so on par with what you have listed above.

ljcox said:
the Moon landings were a hoax filmed in Hollywood.
I'm not convinced 100% either way on that one.

At the moment I'll give them the benifit of the doubt, man probably did get to the moon, there again it's strange that we haven't been back there since but we'll only be sure when we do go back and see if Neil Armstrong's foot prints do exist.

In my oppinion, believing everything you see on the news, read in papers and even learn in science class is very foolish, people should be allowed to make up their own minds about stuff.

ljcox said:
If it was that easy, the world's scientists would have resolved it years ago.
The world's scientists don't know all the facts, no one does. All I'm doing is accusing them of jumping to an alarmist conclusion, (just like they did with global cooling back in the 70s).

Last edited:
hjl4 said:
BTW, is -37C outside right now. Cabin fever????

Jesus! - that's a trival cold!.

We've had a bit of snow here and it's caused absolutely choas, as they didn't bother treating the roads at all! - last night my journey home took about 85 minutes, instead of ther usually 15-20 minutes!.

Apparently one of the other guys took 5 hours to get home (instead of 30 minutes), but he tried all sorts of stupid ways rather than taking the sensible route in the first place!!.

The Moon Landing was filmed in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. the rocks there look exactly like on the moon.

Ha Ha Ha....

Just keep toying with it Audioguru.
Now you just got the ball rolling down hill again.
I'm joking with this guy about things being a hoax. Who cares anyway, they never would of made it up there if it wasn't for the fall of Canada's national jewel ( Arrow), and the closing of AVRO Canada.

Have a great day.

Analog said:
Brrrrrrrrr.

High today is supposed to be +8F.:eek:

OK... I am a bit late on this one and am not sure how much you guys are joking, but here goes...

Global warming is the years mean temperature as tracked over the course of decades.

The polar ice caps ARE disappearing, as are the glaciers, ice shelves on the icy island continents. This is FACT. You really should rent Al Gore's documentary about it.

The big business F-heads getting filthy stinking rich at the expense of the environment are the ones feeding you the line of crap that it doesn't exist.

D.

Hero999 said:
To the contary, no where has anyone said that climate change isn't happening, at the moment the trend has been an increase in temperature but that can't be projected for the next 100 years, curent computer models just aren't accurate enough.
The problem today is with the rate of temperature change. Sure, the earth's temperature has changed alot in the past, but the last 100 years has seen the greatest rate of change. It is very hard to expolate the remainer of the curve and lets just hope this isn't the start of a exponential increase in temperature.

I don't think it's a question of whether or not the average temperature is rising.
It's more of whether this natural and normal, or man made. Does anybody know the average temperature before the Ice Age? Don't we still have a few degrees to go before the temperature is even equal to that? I believe the cause of the ice age was something big smashing into the planet, dust and crap blocking out the sun for a couple of years. Then it rained for forty days and 40 nights, cleaned up the mess left behind...

I don't know HarveyH42, but the temperature of the earth has been oscillating for many 1000s of years.
**broken link removed**

Whether the current rate of change is unnatural or not is debatable. Scientists say temperatures on land are rising at twice the rate of the sea, isn't this common sense that water holds more heat than air and will take far longer to heat up? Temperatures recorded on land are often unreliable (due to the urban heat island effect), satellite measurements are better but don't go as far back; I don't know about ocean temperatures though. Other rapid rises in temperature (the medieval warm period) have occurred in human history but this was before records began.

Even if mankind is to blame I still believe that attributing climate change to human-made CO2 is a big mistake. CO2 accounts for between 9-26% of the greenhouse effect and only 0.48% of emissions are anthropogenic and therefore only accounts for between 0.0432% to 0.125% of the total greenhouse effect.

Nowhere have I seen conclusive proof that man-made CO2 emissions are directly responsible for climate change, not one article I have read has successfully refuted the facts stated in the previous paragraph. I'm still very open minded about climate change, like I said before there are other human activities that will have an affect on the climate like building cities and deforestation, however given that there is now some evidence to suggest that temperatures are rising on other plannets in the solar system, I think it's high time we look more to the sun for the reason for climate change.

I'm an environmentalist at heart, I believe it's essential to find renewable sources of energy and recycle as much as possible but I'm not convinced on climate change, sure the climate is changing but whether it's due to human activities or natural causes remains to be proven in my eyes.

Last edited:
hjl4 said:
I wasn't there, but I know that there were quite a few abnormalities, following the lunar landing. As for radio waves, on some nights, I can get AM 774 ABC Melbourne.
That's interesting, we have 4 radios in the house all tuned to 774.
hjl4 said:
So what about radio waves????
Directional antennae ???? Bounce the waves off the moon???
The frequencies used by spacecraft are in the microwave range and therefore the propagation is line of sight.

As for bouncing waves off the Moon. Given:-
  1. The inverse square law of radio propagation
  2. The distance to the Moon
  3. the small size of the Moon
you would need to transmit a very high powered signal from Earth in order to make the received field strength at Parkes consistent with it being transmitted from the Moon.

Hero999 said:
Even if mankind is to blame I still believe that attributing climate change to human-made CO2 is a big mistake. CO2 accounts for between 9-26% of the greenhouse effect and only 0.48% of emissions are anthropogenic and therefore only accounts for between 0.0432% to 0.125% of the total greenhouse effect.

Nowhere have I seen conclusive proof that man-made CO2 emissions are directly responsible for climate change, not one article I have read has successfully refuted the facts stated in the previous paragraph. I'm still very open minded about climate change, like I said before there are other human activities that will have an affect on the climate like building cities and deforestation, however given that there is now some evidence to suggest that temperatures are rising on other plannets in the solar system, I think it's high time we look more to the sun for the reason for climate change.

I'm an environmentalist at heart, I believe it's essential to find renewable sources of energy and recycle as much as possible but I'm not convinced on climate change

NASA seems to think there is global warming: https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/

D.

Attachments

• Fig.A2_lrg.gif
    Fig.A2_lrg.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 250
I think you're missing my point, climate change is happening but there is inconclusive evidence to prove that it's due to CO2 emissions.

Sorry I didn't finish my sentence (hence the lack of a full stop), I'll now edit my post to correct it.

HarveyH42 said:
I don't think it's a question of whether or not the average temperature is rising.
It's more of whether this natural and normal, or man made. Does anybody know the average temperature before the Ice Age? Don't we still have a few degrees to go before the temperature is even equal to that? I believe the cause of the ice age was something big smashing into the planet, dust and crap blocking out the sun for a couple of years. Then it rained for forty days and 40 nights, cleaned up the mess left behind...

If you are right. Then with all the crap we are putting up there day by day, it should be cold as heck and never stop raining. :D

But I like you theory :) We explain the dead dinos bones and the Old Testament covered some.

mramos1 said:
If you chart is right, I need to get out of Florida ASAP. But whay have we, only recently had the back hurricanes, and last year none (not that I want any more of that stuff).

Well **it happens, then we roast! :) I had done some searches and found that there is still a lot of "discussion" on the matter and went and found an impartial source for the graph.

D.

cadstarsucks said:
Well **it happens, then we roast! :) I had done some searches and found that there is still a lot of "discussion" on the matter and went and found an impartial source for the graph.

D.

I will start storing ICE in the morning :D. It is cool here for us. I never wear long pants. Today I put them on to go out. But I doubt the ICE will last more than a couple hours.

All the ice in the frozen poles of the earth will melt. The oceans will rise.
Won't Florida disappear into the ocean? Along with all the Caribbean islands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back