Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there an IC that does this? (switches)

Status
Not open for further replies.

out_of_my_depth

Hi, I need a device that takes upto 4 separate input signals and, using pulses from a 5th input, connects the 4 inputs (one at a time) to a single output pin.

What i'm trying to do is time the pwm pulses from 4 channels of an rc model rx unit using only two IO ports on a PIC.

Can sometime tell me if such a device exists and, if so, what it's called.

Thanks

a multiplexer will allow you to access multiple inputs with just one input pin on the microcontroller. however, as far as I know you can't get any that can cycle through the inputs with just one I/O pin... but since you only need to access 4 inputs, you could do it with two output pins for addressing.

if you REALLY need it to only use two pins, then you could build another circuit from some flip-flops that cycles through the 4 addresses you need (00,01,10,11) with input pulses from your one output pin. (simple binary counter)

or if you don't mind overkill, bear in mind that an 8-pin PIC has 6 I/O pins, exactly enough to handle the 4 servo inputs, 1 pulse input, and 1 output that you need... and it would be very simple to whip up a program to handle it (and at a 1 uS instruction time with the 4MHz internal oscillator, you probably wouldn't lose any significant accuracy versus a hardware solution...)

multiplexer it is then. Cheers.

For info, pins are at a premium but more important is the need to use a single input to the PIC.

/edit

I've had a search round my fav components site and can't find anything that resembles what what you describe. Might it be called something else? (I'm in the UK) do you have a link I could follow?

edit/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back