Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR PICmicro

Status
Not open for further replies.

zv909

I have a Philips DVD player and i want to build a simple IR transmitter circuit bord so that i can control the player with a PIC microcontroller [PIC16F84A] instead of the remote control, but i don't know how to get started. The DVD player is fairly new so i think that the remote control protocol is Philips RC-6 but i am not sure.

I guess first step would be to copy the signal of every button on the remote control so i would be able to program the PIC with the correct information, and it can deliver this to the IR transmitter when asked to do so. Does anybody have any ideas on how to do this? [not the programming part, but on how to get the signals from the remote control into the computer, so i have some data to work with]?

Any ideas ar welcome, also ideas on how to build the IR transmitter part.

Check my PIC tutorials, you also shouldn't be using the long obselete 16F84 - at least use a device from this century :D

RC-5 and RC-6 are pretty simple to transmit.

If you have a microphone input (like the line-in input, but has a bias current for the mic) on your computer, you can connect a phototransistor across the input (you might need to try connecting it both ways) and record the waveform with some PC sound recording software (which you can use to view it also).

If you have a microphone input (like the line-in input, but has a bias current for the mic) on your computer, you can connect a phototransistor across the input (you might need to try connecting it both ways) and record the waveform with some PC sound recording software (which you can use to view it also).

Sounds like a neat idea, have you ever done it?

Yep. Works like a charm. Due to the slow response of the phototransistor & soundcard, the carrier is not present in the signal - just the modulation/data. If you can program, you can extract the data automatically from the wav file (just use a simple [[software]] schmitt trigger type detector)

Edit: I'm not sure if I tried it with an RC-5/6 remote, but it worked for all the remotes in the house.

Last edited:
Check my PIC tutorials, you also shouldn't be using the long obselete 16F84 - at least use a device from this century :D

I must say that your tutorials are very impressive, i definitely want to build some of these projects.

I know that the 16F84 is starting to go obsolete, but i really like this chip, and i have some many of them, that i can build a small house. :D

I found this on your site and is seems to be exactly what i need for the hardware part, i want to make it as simple as possible therefore i have tried to remove the reciever part does this look right?

Attachments

• ir_transmitter.gif
    ir_transmitter.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 132

I must say that your tutorials are very impressive, i definitely want to build some of these projects.

I know that the 16F84 is starting to go obsolete, but i really like the chip, and i have some many of them, that i can build a small house :D

I found this on your site and is seems to be exactly what i need for the hardware part, i want to make it as simple as possible therefore i have tried to remove the reciever part, does this look right?

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back