Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ir signal generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevesxm

hello troops,
i am a long retired ME and well out of my area of expertise and need some help, please. i need a device that acts like a typical ir remote control to control a bunch of devices simultaneously. in an simple on/off sense. i believe i can program all the devices on the same frequency so i only need a single/dual freq device... now... i know i can simply take the existing remote and make a device that pushes the button and on the face of it that seems simple enough but for a variety of reasons i need something more reliable and elegant that that.... so the question for you guys that actually know about this stuff.... is that something i can buy off the shelf ? a programmable ir signal generator ? or failing that, how much would something like that cost to build? OR could i hardwire the remote's circuit board membrane switch to a relay or something ?

when and if you answer... remember you are talking to an old mechanical guy.... so pretend you are explaining it to your 11 year old...

I'm not sure we've established with certainty that the remotes are indeed RF. It would be easy enough to verify – just test with a hand over the end of the remote or from outside a closed door.
Don't be 'too' confident with the hand over trick - your hand doesn't block IR 100%, and I've seen occasions where it still works through a hand. From a different room is best.

On a slightly related occurrence I once had a remote with a stuck button 'somewhere' in our 800 sq/feet workshop. Unfortunately it was a Sony remote, and many of our repairs were Sony sets - and it caused a great deal of bother :D

It took a VERY long time to locate it!.

Until you can identify all the baseband modulation types e.g. Bi-phase- M,S,I, the synchronization methods and the entire data protocol such as simple big or small endian+parity or rolling-code with CRC , you must have expertise in cloning, decoding and repeating such signals with the proper carrier , be that RF or IR at some frequency and modulation type. Perhaps after a few years in telecommunication work designing test equipment, you might be able to pull it off. I once had to design a baseband pay-TV scrambler/descrambler to simulator every method used by all satellite and cable TV carriers in the early 80's

Otherwise, you need to hire someone with that experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back