Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inverter anyone know how to build one

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbat

hi all I'm new to this site and to the world of electronics so any help will be gratefully received i want to build a 2000watt inverter i have an unlimited supply of deep cycle batteries so input voltage of 12 /24 /36 /0r 48 volt is not a problem but i want an output voltage of 240 and of 50 htz i also have access to a multitude of transformers some of them rated at over 3kwatt as i said I'm new to electronics so i would need a pcb layout a parts list and a parts overlay drawing or a schematic drawing any help will be gratefully received
many thanks in advance
BUBBA

2KW is a serious amount of power, the required components are going to be quite expensive. You will need an oscillator to produce 50hz, a preamp to step its output up to drive the power amplifier, a HUGE power amplifier, and a transformer to step up to 240v.

Like Russlk mentioned, trying this might result in a single-use transistorized barbeque grill and not an invertor.

2KW commercial invertors are available for less than you would spend trying to build one, as fun as the excercise may be. Build a smaller one first.

TheVictim said:
2KW is a serious amount of power, the required components are going to be quite expensive. You will need an oscillator to produce 50hz, a preamp to step its output up to drive the power amplifier, a HUGE power amplifier, and a transformer to step up to 240v.

Except you DON'T use 50Hz, you use a MUCH higher frequency (20KHz to 100KHz?), this makes the transformer (and everything else) only a fraction of the size. You can either use 50Hz PWM to create 50Hz output (with a low pass filter on the output), or rectify it to DC and chop it to make 50Hz.

But, like everyone else, I would suggest you buy one - it will be a lot cheaper, and (hopefully) a lot more reliable.

Dumb question -------

I have a handful of small UPS units which were discarde due to lack of capacity when our systems were upgraded. They range from 600W to 1500W.

Can the UPS (assuming a fully charged battery) be used as an inverter?

I am thinking of using one as an addition to my camping gear - going to run it from the car battery.

Possible?

Or dumb?

Nigel Goodwin said:
But, like everyone else, I would suggest you buy one - it will be a lot cheaper, and (hopefully) a lot more reliable.

I second that. And even if a commercial one isn't extremely reliable, at least it will have some kind of warranty. A 2KW inverter is not something you just screw around with, especially if you don't know anything about electronics.

2000watt I Just Have To Build My Own

Hi Everyone When I Said I Wanted To Build A 2000watt Inverter I Ment What I Said I Want To Build One I Know I Could Buy One Without Much Problem But You See I Want To Build One There#s Nothing Quite Like The Satisfaction Of Useing Something You Have Built From Scratch I Have Built A Smaller One Wich Works Fine But It Only Gives About 5oowatt And You Know What Its Like We Have To Build Bigger And Better It Dont Matter That I Could Buy A Fully Functional One For Half The Cost I Have Just Got To Build My Own So If Any One Can Be Of Asstence Please Let Me Know Thanks
Bubba

Why Are You Using A Capital Letter For Each Word?

Are You Stupid Or Something?

You Didn't Have This Problem With Your First Post So What's The Problem Now?

I don't know why I bothered but your post was so annoying that I pasted your post in to a word processor and corrected it. Here's the translation for all the normal people here:

Hi everyone, when I said I wanted to build a 2000 Watt inverter, I meant I want to build one. I know I could buy one without much problem but you see I want to build one, there's nothing quite like the satisfaction of using something you have built from scratch.

I have built a smaller one which works fine but it only gives about 500 Watt and you know what its like we have to build bigger and better. It doesn't matter that I could buy a fully functional one for half the cost I have just got to build my own so if any one can be of assistance please let me know thanks.

Why don't you use the design for your 500W inverter and uprate the output transistors? If you posted the schematic here then people might be able to suggest ways of uprating it to 2000W.

once you have built one invert you have built them all.
The fact you have already got a 500W mean's you pretty much have it already.

So the real question is... why is that inverter only limited to 500W ?
All that happens when inverters get higher powered is components get bigger (IGBT's, DC-Link Cap, output filter...) as well as paracitics becoming more of an issue (resulting in better layout of power components)

re inverter

can anyone give details on how to upgrade this schismatic for an inverter
here are the part values
T1/T2Transistores BD234
T3/T4Transistores 2N3055
C1/C2 Elkos 22uf 25v
C3 ELKO150UF 16 V
P Potentiometer 470 ohm
R2/R4 15ohm/4w
R1/R3 330 Ohm
r5/r6 560 Ohm

Attachments

• b 005.jpg
    b 005.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,311
A guy on another forum made that "inverter" kit. Its output was about 30W, its voltage was very low and its transistors got very hot.

2000W from a 12V car battery? That is 200A! The battery will boil in a few minutes then it will melt. You will walk home.

If I had to drop 200A into something using batteries I might go with NiCads. They can dump obscene amounts of current in a short time. The key words here are Short and Time.

Even if you had sufficient battery capacity in a vehicle, current draws on that order might damage your alternator as well. The best way to get 2KW at 120AC for mobile use is a generator. It will also save weight. An RV supply store would have the QUITE necessary hardware to isolate the exaust of the generator from your vehicle so you can mount it in the trunk.

hi guys
i dont intent to use one car battery but a large bank of deep cycle batteries if anyone has a design for an inverter that can produce even a 1000watt of power it will be of great help

bubbat I have designed inverters ranging from a few hundred watts all the way upto a few hundred kilowatts... and you know what they are all pretty much the same just with increase rating (and a bit more care todo with paracitics)

you say you have a 500Watt inverter... so up-rate is. I do believe TWO people told you todo that

i need to biuld a small inverter for my childs school project
Tell us more about the inverter that you need. Input voltage? Output voltage? Logic level, 50/60 Hz, electroluminescent, or cold cathode fluorescent? How small is 'small'? Is she allowed to buy one if it's cheap enough? Where do you normally get parts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back