Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

input and save input

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is about that many on my steering wheel.
10 for radio on the back 10 on the front

I will order 100 of the suggested part Jon https://www.ti.com/product/TIC12400-Q1
24 switches!! where on earth would you need 24 switches on a vehicle??
Let's see.
Imagine something like an entertainment head-unit face-plate, or HVAC control panel, multi-function steering wheel as Burt suggested, or a Body Control Module which reads inputs from the driver's door master window/mirror control panel+ lock/unlock switch + window lockout switch, as well as the inputs from the individual door window switches.

interesting Mike. That link is similar to something Jon posted.
am still considering the ladder circuit.

I

24 switches!! where on earth would you need 24 switches on a vehicle??

How many electric motors would you guess a 2004 Mercedes S211/E320 Estate Wagon would have? The answer will surprise you.

How many electric motors would you guess a 2004 Mercedes S211/E320 Estate Wagon would have? The answer will surprise you.

I give up. How many? Rough guess, I can count at least 20 so probably 40.

Mike.

Thinking about switches, each back door has at least 3 - window up & down and door open. The front seats add lock/unlock and in the case of Mercedes about 6 more for seat controls. The driver' door adds a mirror control joystick (4 switches) and 2 to select which mirror, plus another joystick (4 switches) for steering wheel position.

That's 36, just for doors and door controls. Nothing for the entertainment system or HVAC system yet.

Plus probably 6 more.....

SmartSelectImage_2018-01-28-01-06-35.png

Add in the central door locking feedback switches inside the door lock actuators and that takes you over 40.

EDIT: Sorry, you were talking motors not switches there - if the Merc is using vacuum central locking there is another motor in the pump unit.

Add in the central door locking feedback switches inside the door lock actuators and that takes you over 40.

EDIT: Sorry, you were talking motors not switches there - if the Merc is using vacuum central locking there is another motor in the pump unit.

The dock locks are electric, but solenoids, so I'm not including those as motors. Nor am I including whatever mechanism moves the damper doors in the airconditioning system. They are probably driven by servos which I would not count as a motor in this discussion, but they could be driven by geared stepper motors, which I would count.

I started thinking about this sitting in the parked car just after I shut it off. After the key is pulled out, a number of motors can be heard for a minute or more.

Aerial, headlight height seem to be missing.

Mike.
Actually, Mercs don't have visible aerials.

Yep, no moving (or even visible) antenna on ours. Nor headlight leveling but there are active hydraulic shocks in the rear, so there is a hydraulic pump missing off the list.

This car also has electric brakes - the brake pedal is not directly linked to anything hydraulic, so there is another hydraulic pump to pressurize the brake system. There may be an additional motor providing feedback on braking.

Learn something new every day. I never would have though a vehicle would have that many switches.
And all I own is a 2013 Prius and a 1997 chevy S10 which does not have electric windows, door locks, fancy radio etc.
The Prius is a base modle but it does have power windows and locks. Best car I have ever owned.

Jon, are you sure they are solenoids?
Most of the ones I have seen are operated using geared DC motors. They sort of sound like a solenoid in operation, but when you take them apart there is a DC motor and gear-train in there.
Not familiar with the Merc actuators, so if you have had them apart and they are solenoids, that is good enough for me.

EDIT: There would also be motors in the instrument cluster, to move the gauge needles, also, depending upon the engine speed regulation (cable or drive-by-wire) method, there could be some form of idle air control motor, or an electronic throttle body motor.

Last edited:
I've never had the door lock mechanism apart, so you are probably right. Add 5 more (it's a wagon with a hatch).

The gauges are servos, which I've arbitrarily not included in the count. That does remind me though, I should get some of those gauge servos from ebay to play with.

^Yup, I have a few of those somewhere. Steppers, not the kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back