Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor question for vlf receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myrmidon

Greetings.

I'm currently making a vlf receiver for listening to 'natural radio' (see attached)
I have all the parts, however, the 200mH inductor is causing me hassle.

I can't seem to find inductors anywhere this size, no problem, wind my own.

But the size of a wound air core inductor has me doing 3000 odd turns and would be pretty large.

edit: I have some ferrite rings lying around but they are unmarked so i can't finish the equation to find the turns for a torroidal.

The maker of the receiver uses a 1k to 8ohm audio transformer using the centre tap and one of the ends to make the inductor, however i can't find one of these either.

So, i was wondering if i could omit some parts and stick in an oscillator of some kind tuned to the freqs i would be looking for around 12-25khz, but i'm not that far into my electronics course and not sure how i would go about it, or even if it could be done. I think it could though.

Any radio heads able to advise me?

Cheers.

Attachments

• bbb4_vlf_receiver.jpg
    bbb4_vlf_receiver.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
You have some huge impedance on your input, I would suspect it will be a noisy bugger.

Last edited:
The Radio Shack part number 273-1380 meets the description of the transformer.

I can tell you that I've seen descriptions of the inductors for VLF receivers - made by hobbyists. I wish I could tell you where. Keep searching. There are SWL groups who focus on VLF and they've published a lot of stuff.

If I had ferrite cores of unknown characteristics I might wind some turns then measure the impedance. I'd do it with a signal generator (audio), resistor or two and a DMM - just to get crude approximation. Then you know about how many more turns you need - again crude but might be what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back