Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me identify this. Resistor or Inductor?

stevemiller000

I cannot figure out what this is. It reads 0 on the DMM. I have never seen a 5 ring resistor with a silver band in the 3rd spot. I have never seen a 5 ring inductor with a silver band in the 3rd spot. I'm at a loss.
Anybody know what it is and what it's value is?
Resistor 01.jpg

I read it as GN, RD, SL, VI, RD not the reverse. I always read the band closest to a lead first. Am I wrong?
The dern 5 band charts have no silver except for the 4th band. That's the problem

Well if your the curious type I'd get an LCR like a Extech 380193 or PEAK Atlas LCR45.

Or buy one of the cheap Chinese 328 component tester kits, great fun to build, and does more than most commercial component testers - everyone should have at least one :D

If the 'resistor' is truly 0.27 ohms, then it would check as zero on a multimeter (or the resistance of the test leads), and a component tester would also struggle with a value that low - a low-ohm meter would be called for.

But a component tester would show if it's an inductor on not, which is the main issue here.

However, why does the OP want to know what it is?, and what value it is?, does he suspect it's faulty?

It's from a power supply on a laser printer. The PS is supposed to output 24 vdc (input 120v 60Hz U.S.). I have 8 vdc. I have checked everything that I can get to with a multimeter. I thought this was a resistor & when it read '0' I took it out. It was ½ hidden under a large capacitor & I didn't notice the 3rd band was SL not GY.
The whole printer costs us $89 about 2 years ago from Amazon & is simply a 'throw away' machine. At this point it is merely curiosity and I'm one of those guys who just has to know what everything is. We have no need for the printer.
I've never needed an LCR but will get a cheap one just to play.
I am a retired master electrician and am pretty good at the basics of electronic theory and application but by no means am I an electrical engr or an electronics 'wizard'. That's why I came here to get opinions.
In other words ... I'm smart enough to know what I don't know.
Update 1300Z: I have ordered a 'finest quality' ($30) LCR from Ali Express. When/if I can determine what this is I'll put the info here.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like a custom component, perhaps a fusible resistor??

One question; does the PWB have a silkscreen with the component’s labels on it?
That could provide a clue.

Definitely looks like a custom component, perhaps a fusible resistor??

One question; does the PWB have a silkscreen with the component’s labels on it?
That could provide a clue.
This one is labelled 'R12'. That's why I thought it was a resistor. I contacted the manufacturer in China for a schematic (Huizhou Sanhua: Model#SHD0721L-234S). They told me the board is no longer made and they could not provide the schematic. I suspect they just didn't want to for fear of copycats.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back