Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor coil value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomguy42

Hi, I've got some boards to look at... I have one with a failed power rail that distributes power to other modular boards
One of the caps was leaking and its corroded some of the components. The board was OK and just needed work to one through hole.
I'm replacing all the corroded components.
I've left this board at my work place unfortunately so I don't have a picture of the exact board... I have an identical board here. With no schematic I'm having trouble trying to ID the inductor coil, the one I took off had LH1 on the side? Is there anyway to measure the value or ID the component from these pictures? I'm not back at work for a few days and it would be nice to order 1.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230125_205248008.jpg
    20230125_205248008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
  • 20230125_205259772.jpg
    20230125_205259772.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
Short of using, as mentioned an LCR meter or having a good schematic there is no easy way to know the inductance value. You can as mentioned measure the dimensions, turns count and get an idea. I never saw an inductor of that type fail. Unless really damaged by corrosion from a leaking capacitor I wouldn't worry about replacing those inductors.

Just My Take....
Ron

Before I built an inductance meter I would connect it in parallel with a suitable value capacitor and measure the resonant frequency using a variable frequency oscillator a series resistor and oscilloscope. Then calculate the inductance from the capacitor value and frequency.

Les.

Before I built an inductance meter I would connect it in parallel with a suitable value capacitor and measure the resonant frequency using a variable frequency oscillator a series resistor and oscilloscope. Then calculate the inductance from the capacitor value and frequency.

Les.

Old Radio Amateur technique :D

But as Reloadron said, it's VERY, VERY unlikely to be faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back