Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor Coiling newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learning to coil my first inductor. From a diagram, it says the inductor should be coiled on a 0.25 inch form, 8 t, #30, CW.

What does #30 and CW mean?

Is there anyway to know the inductance of this coil that i am coiling?

Spectacular Butter said:
Learning to coil my first inductor. From a diagram, it says the inductor should be coiled on a 0.25 inch form, 8 t, #30, CW.

What does #30 and CW mean?

#30 is the gauge of the wire, it's an American standard though, it might be different where you are (it certainly is in Europe). CW simply means 'clock wise', CCW would be 'counter clock wise'.

Is there anyway to know the inductance of this coil that i am coiling?

The only accurate way is to measure it, but calculating it will give a rough idea - there's very recently been a link posted on these forums, for calculating coils - have a look at https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/state-diagram-sequence-recognizer.12774/.

Inductor Coiling

#30 AWG size wire. CW means clock wise I guess. Not sure about the inductance though. There's another post out there about coils with a nice program that helps with this sort of thing. If I find it before you do, I'll post it in a another reply.

Hope this helps some.

If you can get ur hands on a 1/4" wide bolt, u can wrap the wire around the bolt threads and come out with a real nice uniform inductor.

Just make sure that when you do this, don't let any of the turns touch each other, it will throw off ur inductance.

CW might also suggest 'close wound' since there is no reference to length or turns spacing (which does impact inductance). The suggestion to use a threaded rod or bolt as a form helps with uniform spacing.

CW might also suggest 'close wound'
i missed that :oops:

spectacular, it sounds like ur gonna be in the 88-108 MHZ range. is that true? ive made coils on the bolt like i said for that 88-108. ive also made coils on the inside of a bic pen, like 1/8". they both worked fine, just had to tune the capacitor a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back