Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IKEA LED POWER SUPPLY TO DRIVE AC CURRENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circuit-Azz

Hi, I have an IKEA wireless led power supply which outputs 24V DC / 54 mA current /10W max (model: ICPSHC24)
Challenge: I want to turn on a 220AC appliance when the led is on.

Unfortunately, the output current is too low to trigger a relay such as HF152FD, which would be the simplest and immediate solution.
Therefore, I understand I have to go with optocoupler, which I am not familiar with. In addition I understood that 24V DC is too high for octos.
I searched the internet for a circuit (the simplest as possible) but I didn't find something that makes me comfortable to implement.
Some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A "Solid state relay" woudl be ideal. They have an input that feeds an optoisolator, and interal circuitry to switch a high current load.

This one should be OK up to 15 - 20A or so and will take about 30 - 35mA at 24V on the input terminals:

It will need to be attached to a metal heatsink if it's switching high currents, as it will get warm.

(I'd only trust the no-name types to around a third their supposed rating).

Those numbers don't add up. 24V at 54 mA is ~1.2W - not 10W.

Mike.
Hi Mike, thanks for your message.

This are the info printed on the IKEA device: "DC-Out 24VDC, 0 ~ 0.42 A, 10W max".
I've also measured the current with 1 out of 3 LED stripe that you can connect (in series with a multimeter) and the measure was 54mA

State that, any suggestion is useful.
Thanks
Alessandro

Do you want to turn the appliance on when the power supply is on or the LED is on? There are lots of suitable relays that are 24V if it's the power supply. Your power supply can output 24V at up to 420mA (0.42A) - most relays will take ~15mA. Link.

Mike.
Edit, if it's the LED that turns it on then what turns the LED on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back