Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGNITION CIRCUIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter08978

Good Day,

I have a 2005 Hyundai Getz 1.6 Automatic (South - Africa) I would like to know if there is anything in the car that is drawing direct power from the ignition wire (ON Position) without relays? Or is the Ignition wire just used to trigger relays.

Thank you

The remote central locking, alarm and immobiliser, if fitted, will draw current without the ignition being switched on.
Welcome to ETO.

I have measured parasitic-current-draw-while-parked in several vehicles. It ranges from a few tens of uA up to several mA. The ones that draw several mA are troublesome if left parked without being driven for a few weeks. You come back, and the battery has gone dead so the vehicle requires a jump-start. My 2011 Chev K1500 pickup must be started at least every two to three weeks to keep the battery up.

I have had airport cars (old beaters that sit for weeks to months without being started) that I have had to install **broken link removed** into. That causes the vehicle to lose clock/radio programing and could cause other problems in ECU-equipped vehicles, but at least I can start them after sitting for weeks to months...

I have also put small solar panels (connected directly to the battery, not into a cigar socket) into long-term parked vehicles that keep up with the parasitic drain, and have a bit left over to replace the self-discharge leakage in the battery. My old 1978 Ford F-250 pick-up truck sits at the Hall's Crossing Airport and is used only a couple of times a year to launch a boat at Lake Powell. It is so old, I just took a drill and screwed one of these right to the hood of the pick-up. No regulator, it has been keeping the battery up so that the truck starts even after sitting for up to two years. I have been getting up to eight years of battery life in this vehicle...

Last edited:
Welcome.
If its a later car, and the getz is then the ignition relay if there is one might not power much, these days components tend to be controlled over a can bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back