ICD2 + Vista ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yngndrw

Hi,

I just bought an ICD2 clone off eBay, but I find a USB driver for Windows Vista (It only has USB). I have tried both the XP driver which says it cant install because there's a missing section in the .inf and the Win2K driver which blue-screen's at the start of the installation.

The ICD2 is currently installed as an Unknow Device.

What can I do ?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

Okay I'm kinda embarrassed now, I thought it was an ICD2 clone, but it's actually a PIC Kit 2 clone. Only thing which confuses me is how small the MPLab IDE's compatability list is - That's why I thought it was an ICD2.

What are the major differences between a PIC Kit 2 and an ICD2 ? Other than the fact that I can't use the debugging for most of the PICs ?

Look at the MPLAB IDE v7.61 release notes, they have added a lot more devices for the PicKit 2. I think you also need to be sure that you have v2.2 of the PicKit 2 firmware(well at least for the official Microchip product).

Ah I didn't realise there was a v7.61, I've been using v7.60. Also been using v2.1 firmware so I'll hunt that down and setup that.

Could anyone please post the code for a simple LED flasher for PIC18F452 devices (In ASM)? I don't really understand how to use the bank select on PIC18F devices, it's cahnged a lot from PIC16F's.

Thank you.

Edit:
I've just updated MPLAB to v7.61 but the latest firmware I could find for PICKit2 was v2.1. The new device list is still VERY small, thank god the PICKit's own software supports many more PICs.

Anyhow, I can't get the PIC to do what I want at all. Currently I have a PIC18F452 hooked up to a 4MHz Crystal and an LED on PortB:4.

This is my code:
Code:
;//**************************************************
;//	PIC Setup

#include <P18F452.INC>

LIST	P=PIC18F452

CONFIG	OSCS=OFF, OSC=HS
				CONFIG	BOR=OFF, PWRT=ON, WDT=OFF
;				CONFIG	CCP2MX=OFF
				CONFIG	STVR=ON, LVP=OFF, DEBUG=ON
				CONFIG	CP0=OFF, CP1=OFF, CP2=OFF, CP3=OFF, CPB=OFF, CPD=OFF
				CONFIG	WRT0=OFF, WRT1=OFF, WRT2=OFF, WRT3=OFF, WRTC=OFF, WRTB=OFF, WRTD=OFF
				CONFIG	EBTR0=OFF, EBTR1=OFF, EBTR2=OFF, EBTR3=OFF, EBTRB=OFF

;//	Entry Points

ORG	0x00				;Reset Vector
				GOTO	START

ORG	0x08				;High Priority Interrupt Vector
				GOTO	$				;Trap

ORG	0x18				;Low Priority Interrupt Vector
				GOTO	$				;Trap

ORG	0x20

;//	Program

START				MOVLW	0x86			;Make all inputs digital
				MOVWF	ADCON1

CLRF	INTCON			;Disable all interrupts

CLRF	TRISB

CLRF	PORTB

BSF	PORTB,	RB4

GOTO $				;Trap

END

It does nothing at all. :/

What am I doing wrong ?

Also if I uncomment 'CONFIG CCP2MX=OFF', my assembler gives an error saying that CCP2MX isn't an option.

Thanks.

Update:
Found out that the config bit DEBUG=ON was causing the program not to run. Fixed that now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…