Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I never Buy online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayne

I never buy electronic components online...
Now i want to buy components online(Microcontroller,connectors, Sip_resistors etc).

Where u guys buy thing like this online?? Cheap..

I am from Pakistan, Multan.

I found www.newark.com ..... ur reviews about it??

I buy plenty of stuff online, and have never had a problem. However, what is the postal service like where you are?, and what is the situation regarding foreign imports?.

I've had parcels from the USA, Australia, Malaysia and India - all problem free.

postal service like where you are?
I had received Inchworm kit ..... BlueRoom send me free through Air Mail..
I think i can receive Air Mail...

Here are few parts available,
with difference b/w price, i mean PIC16F877A from WWW.NEwark.com is 5$(it means 300 Pakistani rupees) and here it is 6.16$(it means 370 Pakistani rupees)..but on newark the price it without shipment..

Where from u buy onle?

Ayne said:
I never buy electronic components online...
Now i want to buy components online(Microcontroller,connectors, Sip_resistors etc).

Where u guys buy thing like this online?? Cheap..

I am from Pakistan, Multan.

I found www.newark.com ..... ur reviews about it??

I buy PIC processors and discrete components (resistors, cap, transistors) from Newark. Good service best price on these.

I buy everything else from Mouser.

I used to buy from DigiKey which provides excellent service but the above two are cheaper.

But like Nigel said your local situation regarding foreign imports is the first thing to look into.

In your part of the world, futurlec would be pretty fast, and pretty good prices. I used to order from them often when I was in Asia. The best price for microchip parts are on the microchip site, but I've never ordered from them. I've gotten some excellent deals on PIC micros from eBay lately.

Digikey's web site is the best for searching for components. Mouser and Newark are relatively "dumb" searches and in many cases nearly useless.

In many cases I have searched through Digikey to find a part and then put that part # into an order from mouser.

Oznog said:
Digikey's web site is the best for searching for components. Mouser and Newark are relatively "dumb" searches and in many cases nearly useless.

In many cases I have searched through Digikey to find a part and then put that part # into an order from mouser.

Sadly I agree. If I can not find a part online I switch to the printed catalog. In some cases DigiKey and Mouser have the same part but made by a different company.

A problem is that the same part may exist with a different name and/or discription depending on who made it.

In which country?

BeeBop said:
In your part of the world, futurlec would be pretty fast, and pretty good prices. I used to order from them often when I was in Asia. The best price for microchip parts are on the microchip site, but I've never ordered from them. I've gotten some excellent deals on PIC micros from eBay lately.
In which country u was in Asia?
Futurlec is looking good to me cuz speedy search.
Plz share more about Futurlec...

It means that they are 0.20 each, but they only sell them in packs of 10.
NOT!

There are 10 in a package, and they are $0.20 per package.
But that is still expensive. That is two cents each in quantities of ten. Futurlec is sometimes fast, but when they don't have the item you order, they don't say anything, and your order is slow. A couple of times I had to email them and ask what was taking so long. It was only then I found out some part was back-ordered, and they were holding the rest to reduce shipping costs. Their shipping was always pretty reasonable. If they had everything in stock, it only took a few days to Korea. Also when their Price US column has a hyper link, click on it for better deals on quantity pricing. Some items are at pretty good prices.

I was in Korea, and there, I was buying single 1% resistors for $0.02 each. The 5% carbon were a half a cent(5 won) in quantities of one.

Hey, Newark is pretty good, hadn't really looked before.

Yes, I do miss Korea. There were blocks and blocks of electronics stores, some selling just one thing - capacitors, every kind and value jammed to the ceiling in one store. The next store might sell only switches, but every kind you could imagine. Then there were the 'hobby' stores, the ones that sold different parts. All the parts were in bins, and you picked up a static tray, divided into sections to shop with. Things like jacks and plugs were sold at sidewalk shops, and were very cheap.

In Canada, there are hardly any component shops, and the ones that exist like to sell bubble packed, really expensive crap. I am paying ten to twenty times as much for the same batteries here, and it really *'s me off!
[/end rant]

House0Fwax said:
It means that they are 0.20 each, but they only sell them in packs of 10.

BeeBop said:

That's what happened to me when I tried to buy resistors from Maplin (U.K.)
I Only wanted 4 and was told that they only sold them in 10's.
Personally I think it's such an ambiguous term, and that the electronics people should make their catalogues easier to understand / decipher.

You know, I feel sorry for you guys in the UK. It seems like you pay a pound for a dollar, which is like two times the amount. I know there are places where you can get better deals there, but almost every web store I've looked at there, seems really expensive - worse than Canada even.

BeeBop said:
You know, I feel sorry for you guys in the UK. It seems like you pay a pound for a dollar, which is like two times the amount. I know there are places where you can get better deals there, but almost every web store I've looked at there, seems really expensive - worse than Canada even.

we can't compare like this when one prefers to purchase in international market. we get a 7805 for indian Rs.8/- while the UK pound is around Rs.75 to 80/-( just helps in comparison)
if i am to purchase the same 7805 from a uk based firm from india where these firms have a base, it costs around Rs.60 to 70/- (all inclusive)

i got a quote of Rs.6000/- for an AD9851BRSZ in local market , while digikey sells at $20.58++ within America. as it lands here it might cost much more due to P&F and duties.

Futurlec

Ayne said:
In which country u was in Asia?
Futurlec is looking good to me cuz speedy search.
Plz share more about Futurlec...

I bought for the first time from Futurlec last week.

My order was shipped same day and arrived very quickly to Manchester UK.

A++ recommendation from me :)

I've just checked out Newark - there prices are very good (compared to some of the prices here in South Africa) and their international shipping is cheap as well.

Going to place a order now!! :)

gregmcc said:
I've just checked out Newark - there prices are very good (compared to some of the prices here in South Africa) and their international shipping is cheap as well.

Going to place a order now!! :)

Have you checked what the import regulations are in your country?, in the UK such an order is subject to import duty, VAT (Value Added Tax - 17.5%) and a charge for collecting the money. Generally, on low value orders they get through without being stopped - but I got stung once!!.

They add vat here - 14% and maybe sometimes a handling fee. but your right, on low orders you normally get through.

I've done some checking - you have to know your prices as well - for LCD displays in particular, Mouser and Newark charge $12/$18 for a 2x16 char LCD

I can get it locally for the equiv. of $6

Then again the semiconductors/pics are MUCH cheaper at Newark than here - about half price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back