Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How would I read the signal of something to emulate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjaguar13

I am trying to add a computer to various coin operated machines. Instead of inserting coins, I want the computer to decide whether or not credit should be added. I run into two situations, where one seems easier than the other. The easy one is the stand $0.25 arcade game coin mechs. How would I go about hooking up a coin mech to a computer so I could put a quarter in and see what signal is sent out to the JAMMA board to give credit? Once I figure out what the signal is, could I have a computer emulate that signal through the serial port?

The harder situation is a CoinCo 9370 coin mech with dollar bill acceptor. I figured the easier way is to plug the dollar bill acceptor into something to read the signal, but I am came to realize that the dollar bill acceptor probably sends the signal saying $1 has been inserted. Since the coin mech is set less than $1, it dispenses change. I don't want change given out every time the computer does something. The coin tubes has a ribbon cable going to the mech, but I believe that is for dispensing change. I am thinking I need to find out what the signal is coming from the 9-pin jones connector. But I need the signal when the exact change is entered. Some of the pins are probably to receive power to the coin mech. How would I go about figuring out what signals needed to be sent?

hi,
If you have an oscilloscope,[ a storage type would be best] you could examine the output waveforms of the coin machines.

This would give an indication of the voltage levels and the timings.

A logic analyser would be ideal.

When you have measured the waveforms, post them and we can suggest ways of connecting to a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back