Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to open a Photoshop file and save it in another format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilasSpencer

I know this isnt a VB.NET category but does anyone know of a way to open a photoshop image (.psd) through vb.net code and work with it? Basically I just want to open the .psd file and save it as a .gif or .jpg

Thank you!

It's a long time since I used Photoshop. I think it is like most similar programs so under "File" select "save as" then you should get a choice of file types in a drop down box at the right hand side of the box where you type the filename.

Les.

I use PhotoShop as my main image program. Les is correct that PhotoShop has a dropdown with several choices of file format for saving. Unfortunately, my version (CS2) seems to add a lot of bloat to what should be a small file with extensions like jpg and png.

A work around is to make the image the size you want or larger for better eventual resolution while still in psd or any other format, then do a screen capture and save in the format you want using a program other than PhotoShop. For WinXP, print screen then save as jpg or whatever. For Win7, just use the snippet tool.

John

I use PhotoShop as my main image program. Les is correct that PhotoShop has a dropdown with several choices of file format for saving. Unfortunately, my version (CS2) seems to add a lot of bloat to what should be a small file with extensions like jpg and png.

A work around is to make the image the size you want or larger for better eventual resolution while still in psd or any other format, then do a screen capture and save in the format you want using a program other than PhotoShop. For WinXP, print screen then save as jpg or whatever. For Win7, just use the snippet tool.

John

Yes, I have noticed that pretty much all versions of Photoshop produce bigger image files than you would think, and funnily enough, I too have used screen capture (SnipIt) to get around the problem. This contrasts with the otherwise excellent image edditing functions of Photoshop.

spec

You probably need to go through the quality settings of the jpeg export to get lower size files.

You probably need to go through the quality settings of the jpeg export to get lower size files.
Thks kub, but I have tried all ways to reduce the file size for a given jpeg and png (lossless compresion) image quality but no luck. As John says, PS seems to add quite a lot of bloat. For high resolution files Photoshop is the best though, especially with camera raw.

spec

Last edited:
I agree with spec.. I am aware of the temptation to include useless resolution. But even at a resolution of 72 dpi, the files are bloated.
John

My understanding was that the OP was unable to open the .psd file (perhaps he doesn't have photoshop?) and is looking for a way to access and save the content using VB.NET.

If my understanding is correct, simply install Gimp. Gimp allows you to open .psd files and work with them directly, no need for special plugins or anything. You can then save as any image file type you want.

If you absolutely must open it with VB.NET, look for command line arguments that allow you to open a file in Gimp from the console. You should then be able to run these commands from within your VB.NET program.

I am not familiar with VB.NET nor Gimp, so I am just guessing here. Logically this approach would make the most sense.

Good luck!
Matt

My understanding was that the OP was unable to open the .psd file (perhaps he doesn't have photoshop?) and is looking for a way to access and save the content using VB.NET.

If my understanding is correct, simply install Gimp. Gimp allows you to open .psd files and work with them directly, no need for special plugins or anything. You can then save as any image file type you want.

If you absolutely must open it with VB.NET, look for command line arguments that allow you to open a file in GIMP from the console. You should then be able to run these commands from within your VB.NET program.

Good luck!
Matt

Nice one Matt :cool:

Chuck

I'm not sure about CS2, I have CS8 which I got through my junior college awhile back. I usually use .psd when working with layers, then flatten image and save in other formats. When I save in jpeg, there are options to choose different file size, the low settings are optimized for slow internet connections, while high gives better quality at price of larger file size.

jpegoptionsPS.PNG

Here is a file saved as png 242k, then jpeg low, and lastly high. File size for low is about 57k and high is 127k.

AGNightmare1.png AGNightmare1low.jpg AGNightmare1high.jpg

The class I took was basic photoshop for graphics design, it was an intro into PS which is a very powerful tool but not the easiest to use.

Personally I can't tell much of a difference, but I think my eyesight is failing me these days.

I'm not sure about CS2, I have CS8 which I got through my junior college awhile back. I usually use .psd when working with layers, then flatten image and save in other formats. When I save in jpeg, there are options to choose different file size, the low settings are optimized for slow internet connections, while high gives better quality at price of larger file size.

View attachment 98195

Here is a file saved as png 242k, then jpeg low, and lastly high. File size for low is about 57k and high is 127k.

View attachment 98197 View attachment 98198 View attachment 98199

The class I took was basic photoshop for graphics design, it was an intro into PS which is a very powerful tool but not the easiest to use.

Personally I can't tell much of a difference, but I think my eyesight is failing me these days.

The only difference I see when switching through the three images is a slight change in color.

Adobe Photoshop have a COM interface for Photoshop they refer to the "scripting plugin" you can control all of photoshops functionality through this interface.
**broken link removed**
Adobe supply documentation for using the COM interface, the Object Model and some scripting examples.

I know this isnt a VB.NET category but does anyone know of a way to open a photoshop image (.psd) through vb.net code and work with it? Basically I just want to open the .psd file and save it as a .gif or .jpg

Thank you!

Don't know if you found a solution since several days have elapsed. I can tell you this much, you cannot open a .psd (Adobe Photoshop) format image using VB.NET because VB.NET does not support the .psd file format. The supported VB.NET formats are BMP, EMF, EXIF, GIF, GUID, ICON, JPEG, PNG, TIFF and WMF.

Adobe Photoshop CS2 has been made available from Adobe for free and can be found here. Software like Gimp and IrfanView which I like will open a .psd file but will not allow saving the file in another file format like JPEG, TIFF or PNG easily supported by VB.NET. So you would use Photoshop CS2 (albeit old but works) to open the .psd file and then using "Save As" save the file in a common format supported bt VB.NET.

Ron

here is sample code for psd interaction:
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15905/Yet-Another-PSD-Parser
it looks like that code changes it from psd to xml, but along the way bmps are declared, you could prolly do something like slice the "xml save" apart and insert your code , (bmp to jpg is easy.)

but that is vb.c#, I never understood how vb uses/differs and is able to cross c#, c++ and .NET, thats why i stick with vb.c#, dll's i get, they install to windows with/like a driver, and lots of snipits available, and allow me to access things like ports and cards... h's i know are for my PICs uC's but does that mean I have been compiling uC in c++ all this time!?

Just so everyone knows, I believe this was yet another spam post similar to the ones we've been seeing like this. Generally if you see a post here asking how to access corrupted files, it's most likely a spammer.

Just so everyone knows, I believe this was yet another spam post similar to the ones we've been seeing like this. Generally if you see a post here asking how to access corrupted files, it's most likely a spammer.
I don't recall the OP asking how to access a corrupted file. I thought they/he wanted to use VB.Net, or some such. Aside from not responding after the first post what makes you think the guy is not legit? Just asking so I can keep an eye out:)

It did strike me as suspicious when someone signed up just to post with such a concise answer exactly a weeek later, then clicked "like" rite after

I don't recall the OP asking how to access a corrupted file. I thought they/he wanted to use VB.Net, or some such. Aside from not responding after the first post what makes you think the guy is not legit? Just asking so I can keep an eye out:)
It did strike me as suspicious when someone signed up just to post with such a concise answer exactly a weeek later, then clicked "like" rite after

There seems to have been a pattern, not necessarily just with corrupted files but with software in general. The majority has been how to access corrupted files, but sometimes the OP just asks something about software. Then, as Dr_Doggy mentioned, someone signs up for an account at ETO and answers with some obscure software (I deleted the post with the non-adobe link) and is never seen again.

Just be wary of any software-related posts here. Most of the time it's spam.

Matt

Thank you guys for your feedback and help. Sorry, that long time did not respond. This is because the issue was solved and I forgot to tell.) Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back