Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Inject a loud squeal down the phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes people dont like it when you tell them the truth.
. I dont think so . Those responses are all old hat and only Inquisitive had something new and interesting. None have looked at circuitry possibilities which is after all why we are here.

Again, you need to take your own advice and don't try to tell us what we like or don't like. Each of us was trying to give advice of things to try after the correct answer to your original question about how to inject a squeal into the line was posted. In truth, nothing really works 100%. It doesn't matter to me in the least whether you like my advice.

You apparently didn't know that the SIT tone device has been around for a long time. It is not new, and its drawbacks outweigh its benefits for most people who have considered or tried it. It is marginally effective with more modern robocallers. Did you read the whole attachment?

If you go with the RadioShack SIT device, please contribute to this forum and let us know your experience with it.

John

Yes people dont like it when you tell them the truth.
. I dont think so . Those responses are all old hat and only Inquisitive had something new and interesting. None have looked at circuitry possibilities which is after all why we are here.

We are here to learn from each other. You sound like you know it all, have all the answers....but will not listen to reason.

So, some more Red Medicine for you. Hope you get well soon. And turn Green :D

An attitude change on your part could help heaps... I will be the first one to REP you once you get it. It really is that simple.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
I have a friend that has that sort of system. All calls go to an answering machine unless you have the 4 digit code then it rings in the house. I have no idea how they did it.

The phone system can only be too loud.

The donotcall registry www.donotcall.gov can help. Robo calls are totally illegal.

I always waste their time by putting a radio in front of a portable phone.

Millions of "windows and doors" and "duck cleaners" companies phone everybody listed in the phone book illegally every day.
But their "telemarketers" do not speeky zee Engrish so when I tell them where to go they do not understand.
I wish I could push a button on my phone to ZAP them.

We are here to learn from each other. You sound like you know it all, have all the answers....but will not listen to reason.Just outlandish unreasonable logic
So, some more Red Medicine for you. Hope you get well soon. And turn Green :D An attitude change on your part could help heaps... I will be the first one to REP you once you get it. It really is that simple.Regards,tvtech
Ho Hum , You have done most of it in the past, any chance you get, so you know where you can stick it

Last edited:
Back on topic though, if you really want to annoy them, don't just do a single blast of tone, they just press the button, cut off the call and move to the next person. Call center operatives generally wear headphones with limiting built in to protect their ears.
You know I wonder at the experience of people making broad statements like this ?
I do have call center experience. Many years ago though but people who are still doing it (selling wine) tell me they use computers but there is nothing in the headphones they use to limit sound . Why do you just make up things and post them?
Granted its a pretty damn easy thing to implement but not yet as I have seen -Correct me with some source citations if I am wrong

Now something that does work , but I don't know if they remove the number , is to start asking them personal questions about their sex life. Men could continue on for hours , women get off fast.

Last edited:
Headset manufacturers do not amplify telco sounds too much to avoid lawsuits. Then a "squeal" is not very loud.

But the loudness on the phone line is limited by telco regulations. What someone hears, is amplified by the headset.
audioguru said:
Headset manufacturers do not amplify telco sounds too much to avoid lawsuits. Then a "squeal" is not very loud.

I dont understand these statements. The line has a voltage level for peak signal and a low of zero I suppose. It is able to take a 50Volt signal at least as evidenced by the ring tone pulse while still on the hook.

The device to be approved for use by a phone company must no doubt be limited but I am not, whether it be legal or not . I don't want to sell them just use it selectively.
Would frequency modulation at say 14000 hz at peak voltage work ? Can I make a feedback device like an audio mike amplifier feedback squeal ?
You guys seem to know (claim to know) what you are doing
None of your posts, or most of the others, have actually offered any solution to my question?

Last edited:
Telephone line has gone a long way from times when women in exchanges were connecting the actual line circuits together.
Your squeal will only go to the first exchange on the way, where it WILL be digitized and sofware-limited, or even hard clipped right on the analog line if necessary, and then sent through to the other exchange, where it will be amplified by an amp again with limited output levels.
So unless you live in Cambodia or something where the lines are analog all the way through there is no way your high level squeak will get to the other side with the intensity you expect. It may be fairly loud and annoying, but I doubt it would be ear piercing or anything like that.

But if you are so desperate to try it, connect some audio amplifier to the line through a capacitor (non-polarized, large value) and see what you can get. Disclaimer: the reponsibility for burned amps, houses, etc. is only yours :D

Last edited:
I dont understand these statements.
And there is the fundamental cause of all the acrimony in this thread.

You have conceived a solution to your problem which will not work.
When others try to point out the problem and offer other solutions, you just go off in a huff.

Not only don't you understand, you actively refuse to understand.

JimB

Ringing in North America is 20Hz at 90V RMS. But then the telephone is off hook so the 300Hz to 3kHz earphone doesn't produce it.
Also, a 14kHz tone will be reduced to almost nothing by the high frequencies cut.

Telephone levels are normal, not blasting. A few phones have a volume control to increase the level of low level sounds but it does not increase the level of normal levels or too loud levels. They are clipped into squarewaves.

And there is the fundamental cause of all the acrimony in this thread.
You have conceived a solution to your problem which will not work.
When others try to point out the problem and offer other solutions, you just go off in a huff.
Not only don't you understand, you actively refuse to understand.
JimB

You have not thought that through at all.
You get answers by questioning what you are told, to get a clear understanding of what you are being told and clear up what is not clear,then if you are sensible and reasonable, you take on board all that you are told and work out a solution that suits your circumstances
Nothing to do with acrimony or attitude . My approach is to learn and I do what is necessary to do so.

These silly criticisms do nothing to answer the post -go away and get on with it somewhere else

April, just stop it. If you keep refusing to listen to all the suggestions that ARE being made, then this thread is useless. YOU are the one making this thread so unhelpful, with all your criticisms of other peoples' ideas. You have no right to say that what other people are suggesting is no good, and especially no right to tell them to go away. To be perfectly honest, I'm very surprised you haven't been banned already. You cause nothing but trouble here. You create arguments within your threads, you troll, you're rude, you're insulting. If you expect to be helped, you can't just ask a question and then criticize the answers. That won't get anybody anywhere. Read the Terms Of Service. You might learn something.

Your squeal will only go to the first exchange on the way, where it WILL be digitized and sofware-limited, or even hard clipped right on the analog line if necessary, and then sent through to the other exchange, where it will be amplified by an amp again with limited output levels.
there is no way your high level squeak will get to the other side with the intensity you expect. It may be fairly loud and annoying, but I doubt it would be ear piercing or anything like that.Isee your point . I don't expect anything I am looking to get the loudest effect I can at the other end . Some people know what they are talking about and some don't
But if you are so desperate to try it, connect some audio amplifier to the line through a capacitor (non-polarized, large value) and see what you can get. Disclaimer: the reponsibility for burned amps, houses, etc. is only yours :DThis is what I will do but I seek knowledge or experience of what circuit might be tuneable to give this effect
audioguru said:
Ringing in North America is 20Hz at 90V RMS. But then the telephone is off hook so the 300Hz to 3kHz earphone doesn't produce it.
Also, a 14kHz tone will be reduced to almost nothing by the high frequencies cut.In Australia AFAIK it is a 50V while the handset is in place , when picked up the line voltage drops to about 7-9 volts , I have forgotten, exactly . So if I make a device operating at say 2750 hz that would get through in America? Most of my callers seem to be coming from India.
Just some words to make it go through

Here: **broken link removed** Get the idea? The line will be subject to these constraints somewhere, notibly frequency response and level. Exceeding the level will just result into a clamp.

Besides that a telephone is not a wire from your house to the calling party unless you happen to purchase a "dry pair". The signalling circuit is separate and the voice will likely be digitized. DSL does allow higher frequencies up until the DSL modem on the other end.

To give you anidea how modern telephone systems work see Signalling System 7: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_System_No._7

See page 2 of this https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/11/adslmqp.pdf document which shows the frequency response and levels of a typical DSL line.

What we are telling you is that you can't inject a squeel. Your limited to the voice frequencies AND the voice is digitized at the CO. The most that will happen is that your telephone company will get very angry at you for destroying their front-end equipment.

April, just stop it. If you keep refusing to listen to all the suggestions that ARE being made, then this thread is useless. YOU are the one making this thread so unhelpful, with all your criticisms of other peoples' ideas. You have no right to say that what other people are suggesting is no good, and especially no right to tell them to go away. To be perfectly honest, I'm very surprised you haven't been banned already. You cause nothing but trouble here. You create arguments within your threads, you troll, you're rude, you're insulting. If you expect to be helped, you can't just ask a question and then criticize the answers. That won't get anybody anywhere. Read the Terms Of Service. You might learn something.

Go away [person who makes other people laugh]

Last edited:
Post removed--Humor gone too far :D:p

However, my previous statement still stands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back