Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Inject a loud squeal down the phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

april

I am being pestered by cold marketers calling my phone at dinner time .
3 or 4 a night .
I use a whistle atm but it is not very effective as I have listened to it from the other end .

Any one know what I could use to make an electronic squealer for this?
Its my phone -I pay the bill and I dictate who should be able to call me

Hello,

A lot of them are machines anyway so they wont care what you inject. It's unfortunate that they get away with this somehow. Im on the no call list and i still get pesky sales calls sometimes three per day. The only way i know of to effectively deal with it is to use a device the detects no caller ID info or something that recognizes numbers and hangs up automatically. They sell them on the web but i havent gotten one yet.

But look at it this way, they are abusing the system so at some point they will be outlawed.

Most telemarketers cannot speeky zee Engrish. I think they are selling windows and doors or cleaning your ducks.
When I say NO then they call back again and again.

A squeal on the phone line will not be too bothersome because a phone does not go loud enough to be bothersome.

Most telemarketers get payed by how many calls they make in an hour. When I am just watching TV I try to see how long I can keep one on the phone. My record is 36 minutes. Just keep asking questions about the product.

In fact what they do is first a computer calls and they see if any human answers the phone so you then just hear a hang up , sometimes but rarely with a machine voice saying thank you.
Then at some later time a human calls you but you often notice a delay before they speak . You must wait until they are listening for a return statement from you , then blow the whistle . A high amplifier feedback type squeal is what I need . Can anybody suggest how I might construct one ?
Like a dog bark squealer but lower frequency

Last edited:
After switching to AT&T u-Verse for phone and internet, I was pleased do discover that I can block up to 11 different numbers and /or un-identified numbers.
It sure has cut down the number of annoying calls.

How about a SIT Tone.

Check this page out for some ideas.

Youre doing it wrong. If you squeal down the phone then they will just hang up.

Start talking to them, have a remote doorbell handy and press the button. Tell them someone is at the door and you need to answer it, you're interested in what they are selling so hang on.

Put the phone on the side and walk off .......

I have used the keep them on the line routine. It doesn't keep them from calling back, but it does provide some satisfaction.

I use Dr. Phil's lead in, "How do you define success?" The conversation usually starts with the caller offering some vague service, I answer, "Sure, if you can answer just one question first." They agree, and I then give them the Dr. Phil question. We carry on from there.

The only problem is that it wastes my time too. What one needs is a chat robot, like A.L.I.C.E. (**broken link removed**), to switch to after getting the caller involved. It doesn't have to be sophisticated. The callers aren't either. Heck, maybe they are chat robots too.

John

How about a SIT Tone.Check this page out for some ideas.
Thanks for that .Finally someone tries to answer the question rather than just making a post of what they do. They should put at the end of each post "Aint I smart though" because thats all they are posting for.

Last edited:
Thanks for that .Finally someone tries to answer the question rather than just making a post of what they do. They should put at the end of each post "Aint I smart though" because thats all they are posting for.

That's why your rep is so bad... There are many reasonable replying posts, with usable comments.... A couple of jovial remarks granted, but mainly helpful.

That's why your rep is so bad... There are many reasonable replying posts, with usable comments.... A couple of jovial remarks granted, but mainly helpful.
You beat me to it.

Back on topic though, if you really want to annoy them, don't just do a single blast of tone, they just press the button, cut off the call and move to the next person. Call center operatives generally wear headphones with limiting built in to protect their ears.

If I was hounded by them I would make a basic audio feedback device which I could play at will down the line, apologise to the call operative for my "dodgy hearing aids" then try and continue the call. Maximum annoyance for them while wasting their time.

Another option is to have a modem connected to the phone line and issue it with an "ata" (answer) via a PIC / pushbutton arrangement.

This will squeal down the line as it tries to sync with another modem. If you don't like the noise it makes and want to replace it with another you will then have 95% of the hardware to interface directly with your phone line.

Youre doing it wrong. If you squeal down the phone then they will just hang up.

Start talking to them, have a remote doorbell handy and press the button. Tell them someone is at the door and you need to answer it, you're interested in what they are selling so hang on.

Put the phone on the side and walk off .......

Hi,

Excellent idea there.

I have another problem here though, and that is that i get a lot of machines calling with prerecorded messages rather than a live operator. In fact, it is so stupid that it doesnt even wait until my answering machine finishes it's own message, they go right into their sales pitch so if i do listen to the message later all i get is half the message anyway. It's nuts.
My message says something like, "We are not at home right now but if you leave a message we'll get back to you" and then of course a beep, but as soon as the phone picks up they start their own message so the first part doesnt get recorded. It's kind of funny really, but they call too much.

Other times they have a machine that makes the call and a human operator does not get on the line unless someone picks up the phone.

I've considered many things to help the situation but it's not as simple as it sounds. Even a machine that hangs up on unrecognized numbers could hang up on a wanted call because the caller made the call from a phone they dont normally use, and this could happen for someone i know during say a storm for example when their regulator phone line goes down temporarily.

I have come up with one idea but it would take a little time to implement. Give out special codes to people i know like 1-2-3-4 (four digits probably enough) and when they call ask them to enter their pass code and that would connect to the main phone, otherwise they could not get through. It would be like asking for an extension number. If they enter a valid code they get through, an invalid code they get hung up on.
The only downside is everyone you know has to memorize the code so that would be a bit of a burden on them. Maybe some other kind of coded system.

Last edited:
Yes people dont like it when you tell them the truth.
"There are many reasonable replying posts, with usable comments"
. I dont think so . Those responses are all old hat and only Inquisitive had something new and interesting. None have looked at circuitry possibilities which is after all why we are here.

Hello april,

Yes and i see you didnt like to hear nor accept the truth either when Ian told you like it is.
You dont have to be so judgmental here...be nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back