Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Inject a loud squeal down the phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of my callers seem to be coming from India.
Thank-you April. I think you discovered my problem.
Most of my telemarketers cannot speeky zee Engrish. I thought it is because they are some of the millions of Indian immigrants to Canada who can't talk and can't walk.
But they might actually be calling from INDIA!

Who is paying for their expensive long distance phone calls?
At first I cannot understand what they talk about in their Indian accent. Are they asking for me to pay for a long distance collect call?
They should be drawn, quartered, electrocuted, poisoned, shot, burned and ground up.

I can't prove this but what I suspect is Telstra in Australia sells the names and numbers of people who have moved to other telcos to whomesoever will buy them. They take this info in the form of a computer file and load it into their computers and then start the machine ringing every number to see if it is answered . If it is, it is put on another daily list to be rung by an employee.

Last edited:
A signal doesn't need to be excessively loud to be annoying. Pink noise, or even a 1 khz square wave, at whatever the maximum level that will get passed through the system would be an unpleasant listening experience.

But the real problem with this whole thread is that your retaliation is focused on the wrong person. The man or women calling is just an employee, trying to pay their bills by earning a paycheck. And the work that they happen to have been able to get is at a call center, where the job is to call whoever their boss tells them to. I doubt that anyone aspired to do that kind of work. It's the kind of job that people take while going to school, or until something better comes along. The things that have been mentioned in this thread will just make them hate their job even more than they already do. That may make them quit sooner, but the call center will quickly put someone else in their place. The people we really need to target are the call center managers and owners, and their customers.

And their customers are why they are calling in the first place. So, anything that can reduce their customer base will reduce the profitability of the call center, hopefully enough to put them out of business.

What I do is to get the name of their customer as quickly as possible. Then ask them to please tell their customer that, since I find their method of advertising distasteful, that I will be sure to take my business to their competition.

Last edited:
Most telemarketers get payed by how many calls they make in an hour. When I am just watching TV I try to see how long I can keep one on the phone. My record is 36 minutes. Just keep asking questions about the product.

often they call with a survey (theyre really trying to figure out if you make enough money to get suckered into buying their product). i answer their questions with utter nonsense something like this REP: "do you own a car?" ME: "yes" REP: "what kind?" ME: "it has 4 wheels and goes very fast".... obviously i am trying to waste as much of their time as possible while giving out no useful information at all... it kills their call quotas, and tells them nothing except i like to waste THEIR time. something else i have tried rather successfully is asking them if i can bill them for MY time since they are tying up my phone line with useless nonsense. once i was getting sales calls routed through a phone system where i was familiar with the workings of it's menus, etc. so i had my computer use the modem as an auto dialer to call the number on the caller ID, step through several menus, and start dialing through the extensions. if an extension rang that was in use while they were making calls, it would beep for an incoming call, and they would usually put the sales call they were making on hold to answer the incoming call, where there was nothing but silence. this seemed to slow them down a bit, and was a bit of an annoyance, because they changed the menu system within a couple of days.

A signal doesn't need to be excessively loud to be annoying. Pink noise, or even a 1 khz square wave, at whatever the maximum level that will get passed through the system would be an unpleasant listening experience.

But the real problem with this whole thread is that your retaliation is focused on the wrong person. The man or women calling is just an employee, trying to pay their bills by earning a paycheck. And the work that they happen to have been able to get is at a call center, where the job is to call whoever their boss tells them to. I doubt that anyone aspired to do that kind of work. It's the kind of job that people take while going to school, or until something better comes along. The things that have been mentioned in this thread will just make them hate their job even more than they already do. That may make them quit sooner, but the call center will quickly put someone else in their place. The people we really need to target are the call center managers and owners, and their customers.

And their customers are why they are calling in the first place. So, anything that can reduce their customer base will reduce the profitability of the call center, hopefully enough to put them out of business.

What I do is to get the name of their customer as quickly as possible. Then ask them to please tell their customer that, since I find their method of advertising distasteful, that I will be sure to take my business to their competition.

An excellent point, Chris. Well said.

April said:
... You know I wonder at the experience of people making broad statements like this ?
I do have call center experience. Many years ago though but people who are still doing it (selling wine) tell me they use computers but there is nothing in the headphones they use to limit sound . ...

Dynamic compression is used at numerous points in an international phone call, to try to "normalise" sound levels. It is very important to make sure quiet people and quiet phone lines still sound good at the other end. It is also important to ensure a good result from the digitisation hardware used to make sure that does not clip on loud sounds.

There is no way you can "inject" something louder than normal speech and make it still come out at the other end loud. It's a dumb idea, and everyone is telling you that.

And you are rude. It's a very poor way to ask people for help.

But the real problem with this whole thread is that your retaliation is focused on the wrong person. The man or women calling is just an employee, trying to pay their bills by earning a paycheck..
This argument is dragged out evry time an employee is targeted . There is no one else to target that gets anywhere. Like complaining bitterly to bank tellers was not supposed to do any good and just made their job unpleasant. Well with the Commonwealth bank it worked and they are now trying desperately to please you and win back custom.

Make it bad for the people in the direct line of fire is my way . Then they have difficulty filling positions because the job attracts so much abuse.

So I disagree partly . There is always a way to get to the telemarketer as you say but why not do both?

Dynamic compression is used at numerous points in an international phone call, to try to "normalise" sound levels. It is very important to make sure quiet people and quiet phone lines still sound good at the other end. It is also important to ensure a good result from the digitisation hardware used to make sure that does not clip on loud sounds.
There is no way you can "inject" something louder than normal speech and make it still come out at the other end loud. It's a dumb idea, and everyone is telling you that.And you are rude. It's a very poor way to ask people for help.

Does not hide the fact that you are making it up -point to a web site that confirms what you are saying . I could not care less about your opinions . Stick them sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back