Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert ExpressPCB format file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ExpressPCB does not hide the fact that you need to pay them to make the boards. Even if you miss that you find it out with the first PCB when you have just the time to layout 1 PCB invested.

PCBWING you are working way to hard to rationalize stealing.
If your company wants to cheat I doubt that ExpressPCB can do much about it.

The ETO board has allowed you to promote your service at no cost to you. You might think about buying an add or becoming a forum supporter.

The key is that I can not figure out why their customers can not export Gerber, since you guys said in unison: This is correct, you will firmly support the ExpressPCB, because their approach is beyond reproach. Since you all do, that they limit whom?

Last edited:
Your missing the point. Most companies that offer schematic and PCB cad software charge a sizable fee for use of that software. ExpressPCB does not charge a fee for use of the software, but in exchange for using their sw you must have your PCB's made by them (That is repayment for using their sw). So now if one were to circumvent the sw, ExpressPCB would lose revenue they expected to make by letting you use their sw. This is a business arraignment, and one is always welcome to purchase a CAD package that outputs Gerber files, and most cost one to five thousand dollars.

Your missing the point. Most companies that offer schematic and PCB cad software charge a sizable fee for use of that software. ExpressPCB does not charge a fee for use of the software, but in exchange for using their sw you must have your PCB's made by them (That is repayment for using their sw). So now if one were to circumvent the sw, ExpressPCB would lose revenue they expected to make by letting you use their sw. This is a business arraignment, and one is always welcome to purchase a CAD package that outputs Gerber files, and most cost one to five thousand dollars.

Hi Mike! How nice to see you again! I can get what you say. I can understand this principle. But I think they should not limit the Gerber output, which is equivalent to not trust their customers. They could show more generosity.

Is it because their customers understand this principle and not to do so? Or because they can not to do so? Anyway, long time no see, Have a nice day! Mike!

The key is that I can not figure out why their customers can not export Gerber, since you guys said in unison: This is correct, you will firmly support the ExpressPCB, because their approach is beyond reproach. Since you all do, that they limit whom?

It is the RIGHT of the people who create software to say how it will be used. It does not matter if you think about it.

What motivation is there for anyone to write software if the law allowed others to use it without payment. For that reason the law is on the side of the software owner. Not the thief.

Hi 3v0,

It seems this is a legal issue. In fact, I can understand the right of the software auther, I met many programmers and I know that they pay a lot. Through these discussions, I understand one thing: The reasonable idea may not comply with some laws.

...What motivation is there for anyone to write software if the law allowed others to use it without payment....

But what motivation is there for FREEWARE's auther ?
I try to understand your point, I could not fully accept them right now, But I will learn, just as same as learning English. Thank you!

Perhaps it is a bit of a cultural issue. As I understand it cooperation is more common in China then in the west.

What people think is reasonable is not always correct.

I have to point you are wrong, I think: " The reasonable idea may not comply with some laws." not that you said:"...reasonable is not always correct." Good night! The west friend.

At times people write software and then put it in the public domain without restriction. This is the only truly free software. The author has given up ownership and anyone can use it in any way. I know of two motivations for doing so.

• The author does not want to sell the software so he gives it away..
  • The author wants to contribute the global community.

Most of what we think of as free software is covered by a licenses. By downloading it or using it you agree to act in accordance with the license. One of the most popular licenses is The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF).

Last edited:
I understand. I also understand that free software does not indicate the existence of commercial software is wrong. Their job is respectable.

It is the RIGHT of the people who create software to say how it will be used. It does not matter if you think about it.

What motivation is there for anyone to write software if the law allowed others to use it without payment. For that reason the law is on the side of the software owner. Not the thief.

The question that I do not understand is very simple, but my English is bad... poor... I do not understand what is: The total of their software should have a fixed price, if their customers have paied this price enough, shouldn't those costomers be full and free right to export Gerber?

Last edited:
I do not understand what is: The total of their software should have a fixed price, if their customers have paied this price enough, shouldn't those costomers be full and free right to export Gerber?

So, you don't like their business model because it interferes with your profiting from their investment? It has nothing to do with their customers.

Ken

Last edited:
So, you don't like their business model because it interferes with your profiting from their investment? It has nothing to do with their customers.

Ken

Hi Ken, I think your point is a bit narrow, the market big enough, they did not interfere with us. Please keep grace, don't lost your cool! All of these posts are not for us, we just do "General Electronics Chat".

Some ideas of you have been not able to accept, maybe this is temporary. I would like to learn what you said.
Intellectual theft is something I hope most will never accept. Ethical behavior is not temporary.

The question that I do not understand is very simple, but my English is bad... poor... I do not understand what is: The total of their software should have a fixed price, if their customers have paied this price enough, shouldn't those costomers be full and free right to export Gerber?

I will try to explain.

In a capitalistic system ExpressPCB has to right to profit from their investment in their software. If there were no possibility for profit, why invest money to create the software ?

If your company would never make money why buy the machines needed to make PCBs ? We spend money with the expectation that we will make more money. Hardware/machines or software.

Last edited:
...the market big enough, they did not interfere with us.

Then why do you need their customers?

Please keep grace, don't lost your cool!

I'm never cool with theft of peoples' property, real or intellectual.

All of these posts are not for us, we just do "General Electronics Chat".

But you started this thread by asking about help in the unauthorized conversion their proprietary files so you could make boards for their customers.

Ken

Intellectual theft is something I hope most will never accept. Ethical behavior is not temporary.

Me too! I think it is even better if those multinational corporations who infringed patent sit here listening to you, isn't it?

I will try to explain.

In a capitalistic system ExpressPCB has to right to profit from their investment in their software. If there were no possibility for profit, why invest money to create the software ?

If your company would never make money why buy the machines needed to make PCBs ? We spend money with the expectation that we will make more money. Hardware/machines or software.

I can understand. But you have not explained my query: if their customers have paid this price enough, shouldn't those costomers be full and free right to export Gerber?

Then why do you need their customers?

I'm never cool with theft of peoples' property, real or intellectual.

But you started this thread by asking about help in the unauthorized conversion their proprietary files so you could make boards for their customers.

Ken

Hi Ken, Not that we need their customers, it is their customers need us to help them. So I came here to ask you guys about the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back