Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert ExpressPCB format file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some parts of the world people feel that because there is no visible money taken from the people who own software... that it is ok to use that software without paying for it.

As a professional programmer I can tell you how wrong that is. It is not yours and you can not use it without permission or payment.

If you decode the ExpressPCB file format and then make PCBs from your customers ExpressPCB files you have deprived ExpressPCB of income they have a right to. It is just as if you took the money out of their pocket.

If you provide such a converter to your customers you are enabling them to steal.

I've read that in Asia the concept "intellectual property" and protecting it is not as well understood or supported as in Europe and the Americas, thus the large amount of "illegal" DVD and software copying that apparently occurs there. Perhaps that's why it's difficult for them to understand why hacking a proprietary software format is stealing.

But the concept is simple. Anytime you profit from the efforts of another without their consent (direct or implied) then you are infringing their rights to earn from their own work.

I began to understand that you said. I think the key is that what required of ExpressPCB‘s User License Agreement is. After all, its software is FreeWare, it should match the meaning of the word "FREE".

In order to "convert" their PCB files, you or someone will have to hack their software to get the file format. So, if I steal money and share it with you, you knowing it was stolen, that's OK?

Perhaps that's what you mean by "serious business"?

Ken

Hi Ken, I think "perhaps" is a good word, because perhaps yes & perhaps no have no difference, the difference is only someone's position.

There is a problem with the word FREE. We often see where you can have X for FREE if you purchase Y. In my book that is not free but it is a very common use of the word. I would rather they say "at no additional cost".

Look up the definition of freeware on wikipedia. I am not sure if they say this software is freeware. But freeware does not mean "free software".

I would rather they say follow you, but they aren't you, maybe they feel that it can more attractive to the eye if say FREE, although perhaps there is not enough FREE with their software.

I did a little modified to more accurately express what I mean. Sorry for my poor English.

I would rather their saying is as same as yours,but they won't. Perhaps they felt that if they say it's FREE, then they will attractive more eyes, although perhaps there is not free enough in their software.

Last edited:
"Free" software means free of extra cost, it does not mean you are free to do whatever you want with it. The designers of the software still have the right to say what you can and cannot do with it. If you don't like those restrictions then you shouldn't use it. In the case of ExpressPCB the purpose of their software is to generate layouts for fabrication of PCB's by their own fabrication service. Any other use is infringement of their rights as provider of the software. Doesn't seem that difficult to understand to me.

]

It took me a minute to catch your meaning but you are totally right. The advertising people are attracting us with the word FREE when in fact it is not free. Good one PCBWING.

I think you are a person of integrity, you are very reasonable! I admire you!

For the record, I don't want to get into this spat about stealing software,

HOWEVER, ExpressPCB will print out their pcb files in exact dimensions for use as board templates.

Take the final file. Turn the background to white. Turn the green layer to black. Remove the background dot matrix. Print only the back layer and the print is ready for toner transfer or photographic techniques.

This process can be repeated for the red, top layer.

These changes are made under the VIEW-OPTIONS menus.

I use this process to create proto test boards and order the final version from the company.

"Free" software means free of extra cost, it does not mean you are free to do whatever you want with it. The designers of the software still have the right to say what you can and cannot do with it. If you don't like those restrictions then you shouldn't use it. In the case of ExpressPCB the purpose of their software is to generate layouts for fabrication of PCB's by their own fabrication service. Any other use is infringement of their rights as provider of the software. Doesn't seem that difficult to understand to me.

Hi, I could catch your meaning, but I think it also needs to be a prerequisite, it is “reasonable”. For example: If Microsoft wants to get their improper profits via Windows software, the Department of Justice would investigate them. It is no doubt that anyone can not require consumers to either buy their products or go away if you do not like, this logic is not correct.

I began to understand that you said. I think the key is that what required of ExpressPCB‘s User License Agreement is. After all, its software is FreeWare, it should match the meaning of the word "FREE".

1. To obtain the PROPRIETARY software offered, one must agree with the license agreement for the "FREEWARE" as you term it.
2. For China to retain "Favored Nation Status" as agreed by treaty between China and the United States, China must abide by the patent and copyright laws of the United States as only one of many tenents, else abrogate the treaty.
3. Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the US Constitution as an authorized function of the Federal government reads:
"To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;"
4. That enshrined principle above conveys certain PROPERTY RIGHTS to the holder of any particular patent or copyright to the applicant when approved.
5. The US government cannot convey those PROPERTY RIGHTS to any entity, at any time, for any reason without due process of law (existing US law and/or court precedent).
6. Those PROPERTY RIGHTS belong to the entity holding those rights to their PROPRIETARY property.
7. Those PROPERTY RIGHTS DO NOT BELONG TO THE STATE as in some other Nations.
8. If one STILL cannot comprehend those principles and laws, perhaps one should contact the nearest US Consulate to have them explained.

Have a nice day.

For the record, I don't want to get into this spat about stealing software,

HOWEVER, ExpressPCB will print out their pcb files in exact dimensions for use as board templates.

Take the final file. Turn the background to white. Turn the green layer to black. Remove the background dot matrix. Print only the back layer and the print is ready for toner transfer or photographic techniques.

This process can be repeated for the red, top layer.

These changes are made under the VIEW-OPTIONS menus.

I use this process to create proto test boards and order the final version from the company.

Hi! bobledoux,
What a good idea! I bet NO ONE thinks you stealing ExpressPCB's money , and it was a reasonable way. We need not to hack their software. Really a good idea.

Hi, I could catch your meaning, but I think it also needs to be a prerequisite, it is “reasonable”. For example: If Microsoft wants to get their improper profits via Windows software, the Department of Justice would investigate them. It is no doubt that anyone can not require consumers to either buy their products or go away if you do not like, this logic is not correct.
The logic is correct. It it is perfectly proper for someone to put restrictions on the use of their product, and if you don't like those restrictions, then doen't use the product. The Department of Justice only enters in if someone like Microsoft uses their position to generate a monopoly, such as forcing a computer vendor, for example, to install only their product and exclude all others, as a prerequisite to using Microsoft's product. Nothing like that is going on here.

Hi there, My point is: If they do not use "deprive to choose right of customers " making money, then I can understand what you said.

The logic is correct. It it is perfectly proper for someone to put restrictions on the use of their product, and if you don't like those restrictions, then doen't use the product. The Department of Justice only enters in if someone like Microsoft uses their position to generate a monopoly, such as forcing a computer vendor, for example, to install only their product and exclude all others, as a prerequisite to using Microsoft's product. Nothing like that is going on here.

A designer to learn a kind of software needs spending lots of energy. Actually, drop out of a kind of software is a great loss. They took advantage of this condition, depriving the user's right to choose. So it is not reasonable. An unreasonable thing should not be judged to be correct.

ExpressPCB does not hide the fact that you need to pay them to make the boards. Even if you miss that you find it out with the first PCB when you have just the time to layout 1 PCB invested.

PCBWING you are working way to hard to rationalize stealing.
If your company wants to cheat I doubt that ExpressPCB can do much about it.

The ETO board has allowed you to promote your service at no cost to you. You might think about buying an add or becoming a forum supporter.

ExpressPCB does not hide the fact that you need to pay them to make the boards. Even if you miss that you find it out with the first PCB when you have just the time to layout 1 PCB invested.

PCBWING you are working way to hard to rationalize stealing.
If your company wants to cheat I doubt that ExpressPCB can do much about it.

The ETO board has allowed you to promote your service at no cost to you. You might think about buying an add or becoming a forum supporter.

Some ideas of you have been not able to accept, maybe this is temporary. I would like to learn what you said. In addition, How to become a supporter of the forum? Who should I contact? I am very interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back