Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert ExpressPCB format file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCBWING

Hi Everyone! I would like to learn does anyone know how to process ExpressPCB format PCB file? Is this file format public? We would like to support this format on pcbwing.com, but we need your help. Any suggestions are welcome!

Their file formats are proprietary. They will convert customer's ExpressPCB files to Gerbers...for a price...from what I have read.

Ken

Last edited:
We should do something. We will try to do something, I think those customers should have their own choice.

We already have the "Right to choose". ExpressPCB provides their software program 'free', and charges for the boards. If I don't like that deal, I'm free to choose any other vendors' programs, whether free or purchased, and send my board orders to vendors of my choice.

Ken

Lets see now, you want us to do your homework(a way to convert Expresspcb files to a open format) so you(China) can take more jobs from the rest of the world ? We'll get right on that!

Hi Guys! I am afraid I am reckless. I do think too simple. My point is: In the past, free software may be able to get loyal customers. But the world is always changing. Now, many customers of ExpressPCB software ask us to do something for them. That is why I came here to ask you. Thank you!

Yes, times are changing.
Now, many customers of ExpressPCB software ask us to do something for them.
If ExpressPCB finds that they're loosing a significant amount their profit to other vendors due to their business model, they too will change...or fold. At this point it seems they are either oblivious...or doing OK. Time will tell.

Ken

I know it's widely done, but I don't think it's ethical to circumvent a proprietary format to avoid paying the designers of the format for their work. Just because a customer asks to have it done, doesn't make it right.

As Bill implied, if you want more customers, than design and offer your own layout software, don't try to poach off someone else's.

So that's my soapbox rant for today.

Hi crutschow, I know your point, I bet that we'll not poach off theirs except the customers hope us to help. After all, we‘re not that kind of Chinese PCB house who send spam. We do serious business. Thanks a lot!

... I bet that we'll not poach off theirs except the customers hope us to help...
When people ask us to cheat or steal we should just say no. Right ?

See if you can find a free package that you can suggest to your customers. Or make a deal with a company that sells a layout package and offer a deal like expressPCB does where people have to have you make the file.

Last edited:
When people ask us to cheat or steal we should just say no. Right ?

See if you can find a free package that you can suggest to your customers. Or make a deal with a company that sells a layout package and offer a deal like expressPCB does where people have to have you make the file.

Are you sure? These customers who need to manufacture their own designs should be characterized as stealing? :confused:

Stealing? Yes! Your customers want the use of ExpressPCB's free software, but don't want to support them by buying their boards. You want to sell boards, but you don't want to pay the cost of providing development software to your customers. So, you want to hack (steal) ExpressPCB's proprietary software.

Ken

I agree.

ExpressPCB paid the money to develop their layout program and it is up to them how it should be used.

The ExpressPCB people are willing to convert designs to gerber format for a fee. Each time you make a board from a ExpressPCB file without paying ExpressPCB you are stealing the money they require for conversion to gerber.

Last edited:
3vO,

PCBExpress and ExpressPCB are two different companies. ;)

Ken

I agree.

ExpressPCB paid the money to develop their layout program and it is up to them how it should be used.

The ExpressPCB people are willing to convert designs to gerber format for a fee. Each time you make a board from a ExpressPCB file without paying ExpressPCB you are stealing the money they require for conversion to gerber.

I am a little confused. I do not know I should or should not agree what you said, thank God, the West not only invented the software, but also invented the vote. I would like to continue seeing the voting result. ;)

Stealing? Yes! Your customers want the use of ExpressPCB's free software, but don't want to support them by buying their boards. You want to sell boards, but you don't want to pay the cost of providing development software to your customers. So, you want to hack (steal) ExpressPCB's proprietary software.

Ken

We do not hack their software even do not have their software. I just ask you how to convert the PCB files.

In order to "convert" their PCB files, you or someone will have to hack their software to get the file format. So, if I steal money and share it with you, you knowing it was stolen, that's OK?
After all, we‘re not that kind of Chinese PCB house who send spam. We do serious business.
Perhaps that's what you mean by "serious business"?

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back