Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much do you pay for gas at the pump !

Status
Not open for further replies.
audioguru said:
It is called automobile fuel when it has ethanol and other flamable liquids in it.

When we were kids we used to ride old motorbikes in the fields and on the moors - one kid we used to know had a little moped, he used to run it on nitro-methane, and it went like a rocket for a 50cc engine!. Never knew where he got it from though?.

Model airplane "gas" engines use methanol mixed with nitro-methane and nitrobenzine.

A friend of a friend made model airplane fuel for us when we were all kids and was killed by the toxic effect of nitrobenzine on his hands.

picbits said:
In the UK, we use Gas (LPG), Petrol and Diesel.

Why do you Yanks call it Gas ? Its a liquid !!!!

Canucks too. Same reason you use torches while we use modern flashlights.
We sometimes transport our boots in the trunk.
You sometimes transport trunks in the boot.

audioguru said:
Model airplane "gas" engines use methanol mixed with nitro-methane and nitrobenzine.

A friend of a friend made model airplane fuel for us when we were all kids and was killed by the toxic effect of nitrobenzine on his hands.
THat stuff sounds familiar. Is that the stuff that can burn through latex gloves and one drop on your skin is enough to get you? THough it sounds like he was making it for a while so I may be thinking about some other chemical.

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Maybe I should have started a new thread but this seems to fit.

I found info on the web that claims adding acetone at one part per 5000 to one part per 3000 will increase mileage by up to 35%.

We know most such claims are baseless but this one could have some merit. The site sell a meter for monitoring MPG performance. They have motive.

I am no chemist or mechanical engineer. Fuel only burns if it is vaporized. Carbs do such poor job that the people who port heads suggest not to make the intake ports smooth because a rough surface causes turbulence that helps fuel to vaporize and stay vaporized. This supports the claim that vaporization is an issue.

One claim on the con side is that acetone is dangerous to handle. Several of us use it to clean toner from PCBs. Use caution yes, show stopper no.

Some say is it ruins engine parts. Others say no.

I am willing to give it a try in the clunker but have no good way of measuring gains.

It is baloney that a tiny amount of acetone increases gasoline milage by 35%.
Maybe it helps a little when the temperatUre is -100 degrees C.
Ether is used at very cold temperatures.

gerty said:
Gas here ( middle Tenn) this morning now at $3.59 a gallon..

$3.59 : 3.785 = $0.948 a liter

that's still not bad in my opinion

price here in cambodia hit yesterday $1.27 and is rising everyday now for the last 2 weeks

Robert-Jan

audioguru said:
It is baloney that a tiny amount of acetone increases gasoline milage by 35%.
Maybe it helps a little when the temperatUre is -100 degrees C.
Ether is used at very cold temperatures.

Where I grew up ether is used as a starting fluid. It burns when gas/petro will not easily vaporize. Not the same thing.

Think of what a single drop of soap does to a much larger quanity of water.

I am not saying it works. What if it does ?

3v0 said:
I found info on the web that claims adding acetone at one part per 5000 to one part per 3000 will increase mileage by up to 35%.

i know that some aditive do increase mileage deu to the fact that they burn the feul more efficient

the burning feul proces in your car enigine is not that efficient

but 35% only by ading and no other modifications is in my opinion wishfull thinking

Robert-Jan

audioguru said:
3/4 of a gallon of gas to mow a lawn??
Does your lawnmower have a high power V8 engine?

My gas lawnmower goes all summer with one gallon. Hundreds of mows.
And it doesn't fly as fast as this lawn mower:
**broken link removed**
i sayed that wrong i ment i can get about 1 and a half mows on one tank of gas plus mine is self propled with "personal pace" best 400$ i ever spent

quixotron said:
Yo what direction does the water turn when you blokes flush the crapper?
Depends which way the turd is lying ;) All to do with liquid dynamics.

As for the Acetone - Mythbusters did a test and found no difference in MPG.

We used ether to start the diesel farm tractors in the winter at - 15°C.

Sprayed some in the air intake after preheating the engine with the glowplugs and turn over the startermotor.

Big bangs and a very noisy diesel engine for the first minute or so but it worked.

I know we have seen a lot of snake oil over the years. But given how people are upset with the price of gas/petro I find it interesting that they have no interest in things that may help. If anyone tried to introduce an idea that worked he would be have a tough time getting people to use it.

This one you can try for free if you can convince yourself that it will not hurt your car.

When you search the web you will find many times more pages on hi performance then economy. It seems that most of the economy pages are quite similar and cover the same simple steps, possibly propaganda to keep us thinking that is all we can do. There is much more to it then that. Much of what can be done needs to be done by the makers but there are some things that we can do.

I have a friend who drives about 120 miles a day. He always manages to get much greater mileage. This car is interesting.
Evan McMullen of Bellevue recently rediscovered the souped-down 1959 Opel T-1 that achieved 376.59 miles per gallonin a 1973 contest. (Photo by Cosmopolitan Motors)

**broken link removed**

Then there is GM Ultralite which proved what could be done with carbon fiber.
wikipedia said:
The General Motors Ultralite was a 1992 low emission vehicle concept car intended to demonstrate the benefits of advanced materials and low fuel consumption. The carbon fiber shell was fabricated by Scaled Composites and it amounted to only 420 pounds (191 kg). The total weight was 1,400 pounds (635 kg). Its 3 cylinder 1.5 L two stroke engine could produce 111 hp (83 kW), which made a speed of 135 mph (217 km/h) possible. The goal was to make a four passenger show car capable of 100 mpg–U.S. (2.35 L/100 km / 120.1 mpg–imp). It was rated at 88 mpg–U.S. (2.67 L/100 km / 105.7 mpg–imp) by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

The body was cranked out by Burt Ratan using existing tech. That was 16 years ago.

What is my point. It is my opinion that the goal of the energy and auto industry to part us and our money. Advancements will only become available after gas/petro prices have advanced beyond what the advancements would save.

FWIW I find the Chevy Volt interesting but would like to see figures on the cost of battery replacement over time.

Bump

About a year or so ago we talked about the ZENN car manufactured in Canada using a battery developed by an inventor in Texas. General wisdom here was that it would never happen. It was introduced in 07 and you can now buy 08 models. IIRC 250 mile range using super caps.

Google for Zenn CityCar

There are cheap and lightweight cars coming from China. Instead of importing heavy steel, the cars are made from the shells of chickens.
I think a twisted rubber band propells them for miles. When the rubber band runs down then you pedal the lightweight car.

Like all other golf carts, The ZENN is not allowed on the streets where it is made. It is also made from egg shells.

These cars are a product of Canada. The bodies are made in France. Close enough for 100% Canadian Content :)

audioguru said:
There are cheap and lightweight cars coming from China. Instead of importing heavy steel, the cars are made from the shells of chickens.
I think a twisted rubber band propells them for miles. When the rubber band runs down then you pedal the lightweight car.

Bob Scott said:
Here on the west coast gas is about $1.27/L in Canadian dollars.
Yup. Filled up the other day at $1.27 per Litre. That's $5.76 per Imperial Gallon, or $4.80 per US gallon. OUCH! My prices are going up. It costs over $150 to fill the work van (Ford E250 3/4 ton - not a cube van) from empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back