Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Does This Current Sensor Close its switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The G3VM-41 has a maximum forward voltage of 1.48 V. If you use Schottky diodes in the bridge rectifier, they will add around 0.4 V each, so two of those.

That means that you will need at least 2.28 V as the voltage across the current transformer.

You could just put two of the 57PR1831 transformers in series.

Alternatively, you could use one of the higher-rated transformers, and put more than one turn of the wire that you are trying to sense. The higher rated ones are larger, and have a larger voltage that they will supply.

If you use the 57P1833, it is rated to 150 A. If you wind 10 turns of the input wire around that, the 8 A input current will only have a 100:1 ratio, so the output will be 80 mA. The transformer is rated to have a 43.3 Ohm load, which gives a voltage of 3.464 V as a maximum. That should give you enough voltage to operate the G3VM-41, after any losses in the the Schottky diodes and a resistor.

The G3VM-41 has a maximum forward voltage
I'm not using that. The project uses 4N32M
Don't know if that changes anything but I can get CT-57PR1832 (50amp) i could wind that a few times (10)
You say Schottky but which ones?
And thank you for the help

Here is a sorted list
I thank you for that. They PCB styles that im looking at here in this list range from 5-30amp. Im going to use 57PR1832. Its rated for 50 amps. Nothing in my shop uses 50 amps. But all this has me considering adding a fuse to protect the circuit. If you could help me with that I'd appreciate it

Don't know if that changes anything but I can get CT-57PR1832 (50amp) i could wind that a few times (10)
The CT-57PR1832 appears to have a maximum current rating of 60 A. You should not exceed that, so if your maximum load is 14 A, you could wind the transformer with up to 4 turns.

The maximum voltage on the CT-57PR1832 is 3.498 V, so that should work.

I have a collection of small CTs. I could not get them to light a red LED directly. The max voltage was well below 1.4V. When I moved to larger CTs I could get enough voltage to drive low voltage logic.

I was assuming we wanted a relay output and I could not find a "ac" SS Realy. I really wanted to drive a "ac" isolator directly. No diodes. This has a problem that most isolators are fast and will turn off during the time when current crosses zero. If we can live with a transistor output then loading its output with a capacitor will slow down the part so it will not pulse twice every cycle of the power line.
1627079223324.png

Do not order Current Transformers until you see the data sheet. I am looking at the 57PR1832 on ebay and they do not have a data sheet there. It appears the CT is designed for 100khz switching power supplies and will not work at 60/50hz. You need a "power line 50/60hz" transformer. The CTs come in two types, high frequency and power line frequency.

Another part and some interesting reading.

Some data on this one. Designed for 1V at max current. You may have noticed some CTs come with a resistor built in and some leave it for you. This data talks about using the part with out a resistor and then adding your 33 ohm resistor which appears to have a peak voltage near 2V. They want to measure a pretty sine waveform and you just wan to know if there is current. I think you can drive a "ac" opto isolator directly and maybe not have a resistor. The wave form will look distorted but who cares. The voltage will look almost square wave but the current in the LED will be a sine wave.

Note many of the CTs show 50 to 1khz or 10 to 2khz or 50/60hz. Do not use 100lhz to 300khz.

Hello

What about the CT driving a simple RC peak detector?
The peak detector input would be connected across the CT load resistor. The peak detector output would drive a mosfet switch with its gate connect to the wiper of a pot to adjust the trigger threshold. The mosfet switch output would be normally high then go low when the current exceeds the threshold setting, or drive a relay.

The CT-57PR1832 appears to have a maximum current rating of 60 A. You should not exceed that, so if your maximum load is 14 A, you could wind the transformer with up to 4 turns.

NO! Not for this application, anyway.

It is 1000:1 regardless of maximum rating. More primary turns will reduce the ratio, giving more secondary current for a given primary current.

Four turns would mean 60mA out for 15mA load, far too much for the opto isolator.

Stick with one pass of the primary wire through the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back