Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homemade solar cells

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built several panels some years ago. [they still work!]
Here is a site that has individual cells for sale:
**broken link removed**
I have not ordered from them,
nor do I know anything about the book they are pushing.
Their prices appear reasonable.
Each individual cell produces around 1/2 volt.
The size determines the amperage.
Break one in half and the voltage is the same but the amperage is halved.
Regards. :idea:

Its not realistic nor practical to make solar cells at home. Just have a close look at one, its not something you could bake in the kitchen oven :) However, as has been pointed out, you can buy individual cells and assemble 'solar PANELS' from them by connecting enough of them in series to get the voltage you want. If you want bigger amperage you need bigger individual cells or connect smaller ones in parallel.
That's fine if you just want to experiment and you have a cheap supply of surplus cells available.
If you need the solar cell assembly to generate reliable power, in rain or shine, you'd be better off to get a ready made sealed solar panel.
Yes, I know, they're expensive :(

Klaus

Here is a site that shows how to build individual solar cells:
**broken link removed**
not very practical for usable power generation
more like a good classroom demonstration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back