Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HomeBrew Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha. I'm at work cause I can't play my Guitar when the Granddaughter is home. They just called to say their going to the store hehe time to head home and hit the strings while their gone, of course and some whiskey.

Enjoy:)

That's funny! Work is your sanctuary. I know a few people who do that too, me included :)

Hi KV,
A bit later when I get upload some pic's of our digi camera I'll show you a pic of the pot still I made. I set it up yesterday and a couple of batch's of Thyme for the missus. Off 400ml of liquid distilled I reckon we got about 4-5ml of pure Thyme oil. We priced up a glass separating funnel and no way too expensive so it might time for for me to design up a devise to do it a heap cheaper. Over here in Oz only a 5 litre pot is legal and that is what I made mine to. This pot still will only be used for herbs as the last thing I want is herb tasting apple jack so I'll get my reflux still finished and keep that just for making moon shine.

Cheers Bryan

Edit: the promised pic's

The first HomeBrew

HB.png

The pot still setup

still1.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the details. Please explain what "beer concentrate" is. Thanks.

Well, I never got my answer, but I think I've figured it out. It's not easy getting answers in the web, googling mostly only gets webpages selling the products, not expalining what they are. This is why I hate 'recipeis' because I'm supposed to mix ingredients without even knowing what they really are. Anyway, "beer concentrate" seems to be concentrated malt with other components, such as hops added. It is distributed in syrup or dry powder form. It saves the brewer the trouble of malting his own grain, which is a rather difficult job as I understand. Also, less concentrate is required than malted grains, because, well, it's concentrated. Guess I'll have to order the book, at least I'm picking up on it little by little.

This aritcle sheds a little light on the subject. Also compares extract brewing ( which just means using the concentrate ) and whole grain brewing, where the brewer malts his grain. article

PS: I also think I've figured out that a "tim" ( as in "1 tim of Coopers Larger ) is a typo of "tin" and not a charming Austrialian outback name for something as I first thought.

Last edited:
Hi KV,
A bit later when I get upload some pic's of our digi camera I'll show you a pic of the pot still I made. I set it up yesterday and a couple of batch's of Thyme for the missus. Off 400ml of liquid distilled I reckon we got about 4-5ml of pure Thyme oil. We priced up a glass separating funnel and no way too expensive so it might time for for me to design up a devise to do it a heap cheaper. Over here in Oz only a 5 litre pot is legal and that is what I made mine to. This pot still will only be used for herbs as the last thing I want is herb tasting apple jack so I'll get my reflux still finished and keep that just for making moon shine.

Cheers Bryan

Edit: the promised pic's

The first HomeBrew

View attachment 58751

The pot still setup

View attachment 58752

That looks a lot like what Jbeng is showing. I would just be worried about making some brew, that would blind me.

Pretty Cool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back