Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with ring counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb885

I have the following Ring Counter. In the beginning the four flip flops will be 0000 and I want after the first cycle to be 1000, then 0100, then 0010, then 0001. How can I induce that initial 1 in the beginning in a way such that it will not affect the cycles that will follow?( I mean after 4 cycles the input to be that output of the last flip flop and not the 1 from the logic I used in the very beginning). I cannot use preset/reset button.

Thanks

Assume all FF are powered up in state 0.

Option1)
Place a inverter on the D of the first FF and a inverter on the Q of the first FF. The two inverters cause the data to pass through with out inversion. This makes the counter to power up in what looks like 1000. This is a common way to get a FF to power up in a 1.

Option2)
Ahead of the D of FF1 add this logic.
If Q4=1 or If Q1,2,3,4=0000 then D=1 else D=0
another way to say that is: D=Q4 OR /(Q1+Q2+Q3+Q4)

The logic can be simplified to

D = Q!'.Q2'.Q3' where Q!' means the complement of Q!.

Hint, use a 3 input NOR gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back