Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed on designing a circuit for a digital clock (A level project)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say outputs do you mean pins, or outputs?
because when you say outputs 7 5 and 4, like you did in the diagram, thats the pins, and the outputs are Q4, Q5, Q6.
?

i meant the pins, it need a shift by one bit lower.ie if one pin of AND is conncted to Q6 it has to be connected to Q5 and so on.

so like this?
just a final check before i develop the pcb.

Attachments

• gyecgujkfebf.JPG
    gyecgujkfebf.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 287
and to set the time, i was going to have 2 push to make buttons, one for the minutes, and one for the hours, where you flick a dpdt switch to switch from the input of the 1 min time base to the push to make switches. The switches, each time when pressed allow currnt to flow to the clock pin of the first 4017, but i dont think this is going to work, because i have been playing with the circuit.
Is there a way to do it?

use a OR gate at input of Min and hour counters seperately. ie: you are adding another input for both. then use a micro switch for both circuit inputs seperately to give a voltage high when the switch is pressed. use capacitor and resistor to fiter any noice and normally (when switch is not pressed) to have it to ground.

the led's change every 25 seconds. (average)
and for some reason the clock pin of the first 4017, wont change the leds? so i found out how frequently the pulses are by connecting the pulse out of the time base to the second 4017 (of the 6x10 matrix)

i thought this time base was right? its not 1 minute pulses

and i have switched the chips around, but the first position wont change due to anything in its clock pin

*have now fixed the problem

though it still is changing time too quickly

Last edited:
if you have an oscilloscope you can check it easily by checking correct 200Hz. then check the states.
did you use the right crystal?
whats your AND IC? which PCB did u use as final?
any how if you have made anything wrong, still its not hard to correct it since, its the matter of changing some pins of 2nd 4060.

i used this sircuit and i used the 74hc11, 3.2768mhz crystal
i dont have an ocilloscope :(

Attachments

• gyecgujkfebf.JPG
    gyecgujkfebf.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 256
did you etch the PCB? or you just wired? what i suspect is that you have made some connection wrong. make sure the pins 7,5,4,14,13,15 &2 are the only out puts connected to AND gates.

yes they are all the right ones, and i etched the pcb

are you sure you told me the righ tpins? maybe you said one pin wrongly, or miscalculated it?

ok i will tell how it will come,
you have to divide by 12,000 in binary it is 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0
so its like this........................................... Q14 Q13 Q12 Q11 Q10 Q9 Q8 Q7 Q6 Q5 Q4 Q3 Q2 Q1 Q0

i took it as above, if i have confused with this then Q0 is not correct. I THINK MY DIAGRAM IS CORRECT. but i asked you to change it, so just wire it again as it is on the diagram, ie connect pins 5,4,6,13,15,1,3

sorry for any inconvenience

okay so is what you said correct then? because i am going to have to remove soem copper tracks and rejoin pins, i dont want to do that for it to be wrong, are you sure?

you have to remove only 3 connections,
cut pin7 and connect it to 6
cut pin 2 and connect it to 1
cut pin 14 and connect it to 3

hope it will work this time.

Edit: i remember the timing diagram and its ok this time, if the input to 2nd 4060 is 200 Hz then without any doubt you must get a pulse every 1min. once you finish it give a feed back

Last edited:
yeah the 'minutes' are about 5-4 seconds short, maybe it was the quality of the crystal
i might try find a better quality crystal, and see if that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back