Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed desperately with PIC LCF meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
With due respect sir, if you are only interested with the L part this one is highly recommended,,,

**broken link removed**

Here's what you can get:

Voltage Supply: 6 - 16V
Accuracy: 1%
Full Automatic Ranging
Inductance Resolution: 10nH

Capacitance Resolution: 0.1pF

LC Meter's Inductance Measurement Ranges:
- 10nH - 1000nH
- 1uH - 1000uH
- 1mH - 100mH

LC Meter's Capacitance Measurement Ranges:
- 0.1pF - 1000pF
- 1nF - 900nF

I personally built this one....and it works flawlessly for the first time you applied power in it...:)

BR

Attachments

• LCM2.gif
    LCM2.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,740
Last edited:
hi lynx,
If you are in the UK, you could post your project to me and I will fix and return.

hello...

no unfortunately i'm not...but that doesn't mean it's impossible to send it over
to you :)

you think it's tough we solve here?..

With due respect sir, if you are only interested with the L part this one is highly recommended,,,

Hi

thank you too for your support, but i prefer to troubleshoot the one i already have :)

Last edited:
ac to ac converter.

hi every body ..i want to operate at 220VAC to 2230VAC .ant want to shut down my system when voltages goes high from 230 VAC ...can anybody help me ???

hi...

i have no news from you... do you think it's hard we troubleshoot it here?!

hi,
Looking at your PCB layouts, I would say the circuit should work.??

I will take another look in case I have missed something.

Hi ericgibbs

that's exactly the reason that i asked for help from this thread here...

the problem is rather peculiar and i can't figure out what can go so wrong..
the circuit only has few resistors few capacitors and a PIC.

i thought it could be the crystal...but the PIC and the display starts..
i was thinking it might be the 4011 so i changed the TI CD4011 with a HEF4011BP

the author says the following:

These are the results of my findings when using different makes of 4011 in the LCF Meter when in Capacitance mode:

HEF4011BP no problems
HCF4011BE parasitic oscillation at about 6MHz
MC14011BCP parasitic oscillation at about 2MHz
RS4011B parasitic oscillation at about 4MHz

but there's no improvements since the above refer to
capacitance mode...

recently a friend of mine suggested i should return the instrument
to it's previous state...meaning i should put back together the rotary
switch because the problem might have to do with stray capacitance
and inductance.

but i don't think such thing might be the problem...

Last edited:
hi lynx,
Do you have a scope.? this would check for any unexpected oscillations in the build.

The other check you can do is to connect a signal generator to the FREQ input pin, set for TTL levels, set the sig gen for 10KHz and watch the LCD for this 'drift' in frequency.
If the displayed frequency is stable that will prove that the PIC/xtal etc is OK.

Also connect the TEST leads that normally go to the 'inductor' under test together, ie: short them together, monitor the displayed value on the LCD.

NOTE: any unused gate inputs on the 4011 should be connected to 0V or +V. [choose 0V or +V to get the state of the required output from the gate, high or low]

hi

i was away for awhile, so eric.. using a 500Hz/5V square signal, the LCF
shows exactly and steady 500Hz/6.3H currenty i can't test it with another
frequency.

does that prove that the PIC and the crystal is OK?

can somebody re upload the latest full working schematic and pcb layout including all the mods..

TIA

hi

i was away for awhile, so eric.. using a 500Hz/5V square signal, the LCF
shows exactly and steady 500Hz/6.3H currenty i can't test it with another
frequency.

does that prove that the PIC and the crystal is OK?

hi,
From that result, I would say the program/PIC is running OK.
The fault must be on the pcb layout or a defective component.

can somebody re upload the latest full working schematic and pcb layout including all the mods..

TIA
Hi
Are you asking for the details of the OP's version of the LCF meter.?

Attachments

• LCF[1].pdf
    538.3 KB · Views: 391
  • LCFmet790_2.asm
    0 bytes · Views: 0
hi,
From that result, I would say the program/PIC is running OK.
The fault must be on the pcb layout or a defective component.

Hello eric :)

what can possibly go so wrong? i have already changed a couple of time the 4011 gates..
you have already seen the PCB from both sides and both you and me we can't notice any
defect...

can that be a leaky capacitor?! ceramics don't fail so easily...

P.S after the mod you told me to do..can you also tell me which resistors and capacitors
aren't needed so i can take them out?

thanks!

Last edited:
hi lynx,
As you know each section of the L and C part of the measurement logics oscillates as expected is simulation.

When I modified the PIC program for 'AL' the OP of this thread, I actually built the logic on a breadboard in order to check the program mods.
It worked OK.

I will rebuild only the Inductor section and program a 16F628A with the modified 628A program, see if I can find the problem,,, if it exists.

Let you know, give me a day or so.

sure eric... :)

meanwhile do you think i sould check anything else?
or the conclussion from the frequancy measurement is enough?

sure eric... :)

meanwhile do you think i sould check anything else?
or the conclussion from the frequancy measurement is enough?

hi,
The program calculates the Cap and Inductor values by measuring the frequency they produce when they are part of the oscillator circuit.

When you put in your test frequency of 500Hz the reading remained steady which suggests to me the program is measuring the freq OK.

Do you have access to a frequency counter meter,? if yes, you could check the output stability of the inductor section oscillator,

Do you have access to a frequency counter meter,? if yes, you could check the output stability of the inductor section oscillator,

yes.. i have a multmeter that can measure frequency, but i don't know how high
it can go, which pins you want me to try to measure and what results i should
expect?

yes.. i have a multmeter that can measure frequency, but i don't know how high
it can go, which pins you want me to try to measure and what results i should
expect?

hi,
Use an inductor that will give a frequency in the range of your DFM.
When its running measure the pin on the PIC where the 'frequency' from the 4011 is connected, it should remain fairly stable over a few minutes as you keep checking it.
If it dosn't then the problem thats causing the drift in the inductor measurement is on the pcb and not in the PIC, you have already checked the PIC program when you injected that 500Hz signal.

Hi
Are you asking for the details of the OP's version of the LCF meter.?

Thanks! got the hard to find xtal..I'll give this a shot...:D

I stumbled upod this promising statement..

Let me first say that, as the developer, John can use whatever he wants to design his project and I don't understand why anyone should be upset about it. If you don't like what he's developed then "roll your own". And with that, I can tell you that because of the way the software is written, while the schematic does call for a 3.2768 MHz crystal, you can substitute either a 3.58 or 4 MHz crystal - which you should have no trouble locating in your junk box. The calibration routine which is built in to the program will allow you to compensate for the freq mismatch. I've tried both.

is this true??

:D

Last edited:
hi lynx,
I assume that on your version of the LCF meter that you have the SET push button connected.? and that you carry out the Correction procedure as explained in the pdf.?

I have built the inductor osc section and it works OK, testing using a number of 4011 gave wide differences in the base frequency [ ie: when the test probes are shorted together]
The 10Kpot has a VERY wide range of frequency settings, I guess thats why the SET push button is used before measuring.

The base 4011's frequency outputs remain stable enough, over many tens of minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back