Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDD names with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi,

I removed one USB-memory stick to temporarily replace it with one of my stepdaugther for a print job.

After I inserted the original one all drive letters of the external drives (total of four) had changed randomly.

This is not much of an issue if the drives just contain data. It is an issue now since there are installed programs which make entries in the registry and now won't find their libraries for instance.

How can I manually change drive letters?

Boncuk

Last edited:
Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Of course you could also access RIght Click My Computer>Manage>Disk Mananger and change it there by right clicking on the drive. The registry thing is mainly to change system drive letters (after which you may need to repair the Windows Installation with the CD to get it to boot again but the drive letter should be correct afterwards).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back