Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grid Tie Inverter Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.
But efficiency bothers me. If it uses a iron 50Hz transformer then you need to disconnect it for the other 18-20 hours of the day when the solar panel is not working. That adds a lot more complexity, like a relay to connect it, ie more parts and more power wastage. And when operating, the efficiency of iron transofrmer square wave inverter is not gonna be much over 60-65%.

The actual control circuits can run a simple SSR or a mechanical relay to do the actual connecting and disconnecting as the input power goes up and down.
Its standard in every one of my systems.
I even included it in the 'Tiny GTI, maybe' thread. By unhooking the main power transformer every time the input power drops below the minimum feed back power point for more than a few seconds it automatically disconnects from the line.
So all that is powered from the line is the control circuit at that point and that has a power drain of less than 2 watts including the control transformer if one is used in the control circuit at all. For comparison my LED digital alarm clock has a input power rating of 10 watts.

I have posted several very basic voltage sensing circuits that are specifically designed just to handle that line connection function. Each one costs only a few dollars to make and can either run a mechanical relay or a SSR. I prefer SSR's because there can be a lot of actual cycling during a typical day.

As far as the actual operating efficiency the standard iron core 50- 60 cycle conversion is actually surprisingly efficient. I have done many different home made versions of the IGBT type H - bridges and I use the standard IR2110 IC's designed just for direct control of Mosfet or IGBT half bridge switching devices. They have the correct control functions built right in and automatically drive the gates at full saturation voltage with incredibly fast rise and fall times. Plus they use a standard logic level compatible input signal.
That IC gives a real life application the highest possible switching device efficiency they can run at so very little input energy is wasted by the actual switching itself. Its the same efficiency a HF type switcher will have but only running a much lower frequency.
That leaves the iron core transformer as the big efficiency loss device. But typical transformers operating efficiency is still 85 - 90 % over its full operating range. The smaller transformers do have some what less actual efficiency when compared to bigger transformers though. However again by using a small toroid core transformer that efficiency can be raised back up.
Anyone can check with any transformer manufacture and get information on the actual efficiencies of their transformers and then know exactly how efficient they are. The numbers are alway higher than everyone seems to think that a LF transformer is. I wish I knew why its such a common myth that LF transformers are inefficient. They are one of the most efficient voltage or current converting devices ever created.

On my actual designs I have measured and confirmed actual conversions efficiencies of around 85% at peak power levels.
The as calculated losses from the switching devices is less than 5% of the total input energy at its least efficient point. The other 10% loss is the transformer.
Not to bad for home made!
Anyone using a Mosfet or IGBT based H - Bridge that is driven off of IC's designed specifically for voltage controlled switching devices will likely be able to confirm this. It standard commercial inverter drive circuitry. I have even found some of the cheap 12 VDC to 120 VAC portable inverters use these IC's or other cousins of them for driving the output H - bridges that work on 170 volt DC to create the Ac output itself.
Most home made HF switching power supplies will not be any higher in efficiency either. Getting over that 85% hump requires more expensive parts and more complex control.
Its not that I am against HF based designs. I just have not seen any real life commercially made switching power supplies that had efficiencies much over 85% except for the HF fluorescent light ballasts used for the large 4 - 8 ft tube lights. They are commonly rated at 90 - 96 % peak efficiency.

I am glad a few people are now taking the home made GTI concept far more seriously! The more people doing it the better!:)

My apologies, i'll stand corrected on that. I really didn't think you'd be getting 85% with an iron transformer and a "less than perfect sine" input (ie squarewave!)...

Not a problem.
If I remember my transformer theory correctly most standard low frequency iron core transformers are actually more efficient when operating with square waves.
I think it has to do with the wave form rising much faster and then staying at peak voltage longer. The magnetic flux stays moving at its maximum rate longer and thusly transfers more energy.

I could be wrong but as I recall a sine wave is not the most efficient wave form for transformers to work with. HF PWM is basically all square wave and I understand that is part of why its more efficient.

HF PWM is more efficient because it's done typically in switching supplies, where you want ON or OFF. Sine waves will cause a transistor to go through it's linear region which wastes power in the transistor as heat. Square waves help with maintaining an absolute on/off situation, with modern Mosfets being able to pass so much current and have such low on resistances the sharper the square wave you can deliver the better.

I think you might be right on the square waves being more efficient through a transformer though, but that's just my gut feeling. My knowledge of inductance, core material types, and saturation is almost negative =) I just know they exist.

Last edited:
Re: Grid-Tie Inverter PWM

OK, here is one implementation of a sine wave PWM. I don't know of any modules that will put out a 60Hz/50Hz PWM signal so I had to make it up using a general purpose microcontroller. This particular micro has a built-in PWM circuit that can be re-loaded each period. It is double-buffered so that as soon as the PWM loads a value from its input register, it interrupts the micro. The micro can then reload the PWM input register with a new value for the next period.

Perhaps a better implementation would be to program an FPGA to perform the PWM function. That would allow for any micro to be used.

Attachments

• Post5.zip
    878.3 KB · Views: 1,694
Actually I have seen a few standard non grid tie inverter designs that used a common class D type amplifier IC to drive the H - bridge in order to get PWM wave form shaping at 50 - 60 Hz.

If I understood it correctly its very easy to set up and surprisingly simple. Simple enough I may have to play with it some in an experimental GTI drive system. ;):D
Just feeding a sine wave to the IC inputs give a full PWM shaped sine wave output. Minimal filtering is required after that.
I think its well worth a look! Or at least thinking about! :)

Just feeding a sine wave to the IC inputs give a full PWM shaped sine wave output. Minimal filtering is required after that.
I said this when you first started this you can switch your GTI drive system from the very line your feeding. You have a 60hz or 50 hz sine wave on the mains not hard at all to use that.

Sorry its been a while. I dont catch everything the first time around just like most people! :eek:
Sometimes your posts can be a bit cryptic though. :p
Had I caught that as a reference to possibly using a class D type amplifier IC I would have likely did some winter research. I was snowed in and couped up here so long I needed anything to keep busy with.
Oh well probably wont have much time to play with it until next winter now!:(

But for the persons that just read this whole thread from the start it will seem like no big deal and just a follow up point going toward a new direction! ;)

I think we may have set up this thread as a self expanding and logical progression of GTI system development!
You gotta love that! Not to many threads have the apparent holding power and continual development this one has shown! :)

But if this gets to big and the technology gets out to everyone and makes GTI's as cheap as computer power supplies will the 'Men In black Suits' come and visit us? :eek:

***5/30/2009 Just for future reference this thread view count is nearing 15000 and is and has been #1 on Goggle search for 'Grid Tie Inverter Schematic' for almost two months! Some days WE rock! :)***

Maybe it will even top 'Chuck Norris Jokes' and 'Stun Gun' someday?:eek: :D

So when does Electro Tech send us the royalty checks? I think 1/10 cent per post per view would be a fair number! :D If you did 1 post you get 1500 cents! :p

The main thing you need to keep in mind with a class D amplifier at high power levels is you need really strong gate drive for the power fets, they're turning on and of 100s or 1000s of times more than simple square wave modulation so they'll heat quiet a bit more if you don't drive them properly.

OK, here is one implementation of a sine wave PWM. I don't know of any modules that will put out a 60Hz/50Hz PWM signal so I had to make it up using a general purpose microcontroller. This particular micro has a built-in PWM circuit that can be re-loaded each period. ...

Making a PWM sine with a PIC or other micro is pretty easy, but is it really the best option? It's not for a stand alone inverter to "create" mains (which needs a sine), it just needs to feed power into the mains waveform that is already there. Your AC mains "sine" (in your zip file) is pretty nasty, which kindof highlights the problem itself. If you need to program a car to drive around a corner surely it's better to monitor the corner and steer the car accordingly? Rather than just drive the car through the "perfect" angle of the corner and hope the road is the right shape so it all works together.

Like be80be said you can monitor the mains itself, likewise with the minimalist design I suggested earlier you can do the same thing with just a TL494 controller chip, get it to monitor the mains waveform (into its control pin) and control your voltage/current etc to match the mains.

I think this point merits discussion; should a grid tie unit CREATE a sine wave? Or MATCH (gently feed into) the existing mains wave? Or maybe try to CORRECT the mains wave?

Perhaps a better implementation would be to program an FPGA to perform the PWM function. That would allow for any micro to be used.

Yeouch! Or you could use a $0.75 PIC 8-pin 12F675. You're really not the minimalist type of guy huh? ;)
:D

I did some testing using a step down transformer A 12volt 800ma was what I had handy.
I made a half bridge switch it with the step down transformer gave me a matching 59.5 hz
that the line is at.

Attachments

• test1.PNG
    test1.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 964
  • AC.PNG
    AC.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 1,644
As I have metioned before on my slightly more efficent and more complex control systems I have been using the standard IR2110 High/low driver IC's.
I am pretty sure just using the output signal from a small class D amplifier driver type IC like a MAX9703 (or any other basic class D IC) to drive the high/low driver IC should cure any gate drive problems.

I belive Be80Be is probably right about the idea.

I think a simple current feed back device combined with a voltge monitoring circuit would give a good dead band and an active current limiting function at the same time.

Attachments

• 15 Watt Class D amplifier IC.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1,126
  • IR2110 - IR2113 HALF BRIDGE DRIVER.pdf
    210.3 KB · Views: 1,008
Well I look at it with my scope the switching side not the same as the mains side but there
both 59.5 hz. The switching side is some what square wave but with a little work it would do the job.

Re: Grid-Tie Inverter PWM

Here is one for all you minimalists and PIC-heads... an analog PWM circuit that produces the same wave shape as is delivered by the mains. Of course, someone will have to build it to see if it works.

Attachments

• Post6.zip
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,141
Re: Line Powered PWM Schematic

Oops... R5 should be on the right-hand side of R6 to form a voltage divider and set the maximum amplitude of the sine wave. The values of R5 and R6 should be adjusted experimentally. I also forgot to show the +5V supply.

We sell inverters: 1kw for about $1,000. It cost us $5,000 for the approval plus 5 inverters for testing to destruction.
We give them FREE with 6 solar panels in the government Solar Energy scheme.
Why not get one for FREE.

SO whats the 1KW cost to build? And how do we get the free one in the US?
Buy a $6000 solar panel array first?

It s common alternative energy scam here. The government even does it with alternative fuel tax rebates and credits. You get a very big and very generous tax rebate for getting a full alternative fuel compatible vehicle. (provided you spend a fortune on one from their list of course. Doing a full dual fuel conversion on an existing vehicle doesn't get you jack.)
The few alternative energy guys I know said the government rebate program is about the same. You get a $2000 rebate on a $20000 system that was marked up from $16000 before the rebate program started.

Care to take one of the factory 1 KW's apart and photograph every circuit board in detail both top and bottom views?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back