Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Genie door remotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethwilson

has anyone converted a type 3 intellicode remote to a type 2 intellicode? i have several remotes and all will not work with my garage door its a type 2. i am looking for some diagrams and info on how to convert them.....just by looking at the 2 boards, seems all i have to do is remove a resistor,,,,but not sure, can anyone help?

Is type 3 rolling code and type 2 fixed code? Off hand, it seems unlikely that the only difference is a single resistor. The Genie site shows the type 3 with 3 buttons, and the type 2 with 2 buttons.

If your receiver and transmitter are type 2, is it your intent to convert both to type 3? Maybe some pictures and a little more information would help.

John

i think both are rolling codes, the boards used in both remotes are the same. they are just using different routing in the circuits, with 1 extra button and resistor. i am trying to change the type 3 to a type 2. i attached pictures of both boards front and back.

Attachments

• Photo414.jpg
    Photo414.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 106
  • Photo413.jpg
    Photo413.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Photo412.jpg
    Photo412.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Photo411.jpg
    Photo411.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 100
They certainly look similar, and it is easy to see how the switches can be rearranged. I can't tell from the image whether the extra "resistor" is a resistor or diode. If it is a diode it may have a glass case. Resistors will have colored bands.

The big risk is that the microcontroller(?) program is different for the two types. If that is the case, you will probably not be successful in the conversion. I assume they are tuned to the same frequency.

Given the low prices of these things, I would be tempted to just try the conversion ( type 3 to type 2) and see what happens. Even if it doesn't work as a type 2, it may not be destroyed as a type 3 by doing that.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back