Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free Cap's

Status
Not open for further replies.

More Coffee

I picked up some of these for free,the scrapp guys didnt want them,and were extra weight they would have to remove.Also got some pcb's ..the whole system appears to be some kind of automation gear.

View attachment 68829

View attachment 68830

Areo M ,Type CGS 7700MFD @ 200VDC (6 of them)
Sprague powerlytic Type36D 650uf@350VDC (2 of them)

I was considering using these in a power supply,30volt --15-20amp //variable..They use-able?

Last edited:
They will be usable but for the space they will take up vs the performance you'll get from them I personally wouldn't.

You're better off with lower voltage, higher capacitance (and lower esr) types with better peak current characteristics.

Having said that, if the caps are fairly new (the CGS 7700MFD) then you may be ok with them. They seem to be selling for £15-£20 surplus so may have a half decent spec to them.

I had acquired four 10,000uf 63v caps a while ago,new old stock,
I have an old computer tower I was gonna use ,since the transformer came out of a manual automotive battery charger,its rather large and clunky, it only had two diodes as a rectifier,anything from there is a plus.

I'll give the big ones a go I can always pluck them back out if they dont perform,

Thanks for the thought.:D:eek:

I was considering using these in a power supply,30volt --15-20amp //variable..They use-able?
As has already been stated, the voltage rating is a bit on the high side at the expense of capacitance.
But, for the price...
... use them!

They may take up a bit more room than a more appropriately rated capacitor, but they are good quality (Sprague certainly), and the price you paid for them makes a lot of "wiggle room" when deciding on circuit configuration and a box to put it all into.

JimB

MC,

You can run yourself ragged trying to salvage, stock and sort electronic parts. It takes a lot of time, so you have to decide whether its cheaper and easier to buy what you need, when you need it, and be done with it. It seems to boil down to how much is your time is worth.

Ratch

Last edited:
I salvage almost everything. Quite often I can find enough parts in my junk pile to build small projects or repair things without ordering anything. That is a time saving for me. If I have an idea, I want to try it now, not in a week to 10 days.
Recently I got a PIC demo board and wanted to use a 9 V. battery on it. I found an old circuit board that had a 7805 regulator, a switch, 2 caps and an LED. I cut that section off the board, soldered on a salvaged 9 V. battery connector, salvaged red and black output wires with a 2 pin socket and stuffed it all in a plastic Q tip box. I was up and running in short order.

I live on the dark side of the moon ,so when an opportunity presents itself its best to take advantage of it.

truth is ,i would much rather find my bits for free or dirt cheap.Its makes blowing up a circuit that much less painful and that much more exciting.

And these caps will make and extremely loud bang if they go off;):rolleyes:

actually, i've seen caps from that series "go off".... it's not as spectacular as you would think..... the little rubber plug in the plastic end cap pops and clouds of smoke spew out with a loud hiss (think smoke grenade) and that's about it... the particular caps i saw do this were the 15000uf/80V ones that were used in an amplifier.... somebody on the assembly line had wired them in backwards, and after an hour of trying to figure out what was causing high current on this amplifier, i decided to do a smoke test (bypass the variac fuse and the primary fuse) and see where the problem was.... i found out rather quickly.... after the smoke cleared i found that a newbie on the assembly line had wired BOTH of the caps backwards, along with the rest of the day's production having the caps in randomly (only 4 possibilities, both correct, the + side correct and the - side backwards, the - side correct and the + side backwards, and both backwards)...

Sprague caps are very good, keep them, I have some in a bench supply I made 20 years ago, and they were 20 years old then, the supply still takes 30 secs for the power led to go out after switch off, and thats with a bleed resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back