Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Troubleshooting Temperature Fluctuations in True Freezer

I run a small ice cream shop, and I recently purchased a True Freezer to store my inventory. However, I've noticed that the ice cream is melting faster than it should, and the temperature display on the freezer seems to be fluctuating. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the freezer itself or if I'm not using it properly. I want to make sure that my ice cream stays frozen and fresh for my customers, so I need some advice. Can anyone tell me what the optimal temperature range is for a True Freezer, and what steps I can take to troubleshoot the temperature fluctuations?

I would suggest that you firstly record how the temperature of the freezer is fluctuating over time, as that will help work out if there is a problem and will allow you to see if any changes you make improve things.

The item you need is a "Temperature Logger". There are many to choose from.

Can anyone tell me what the optimal temperature range is for a True Freezer, and what steps I can take to troubleshoot the temperature fluctuations?
You need to look in the user manual specifications section, whatever model freezer it is?

There are dozens of different style models in that brand, from what I can see. Which model is it?

Did you leave it standing in its final position for 24 hours before connecting it to power? That's normally a requirement for conventional refrigerators and freezers after they have been transported, to avoid damaging the compressor.

You need to look in the user manual specifications section, whatever model freezer it is?

There are dozens of different style models in that brand, from what I can see. Which model is it?

Did you leave it standing in its final position for 24 hours before connecting it to power? That's normally a requirement for conventional refrigerators and freezers after they have been transported, to avoid damaging the compressor.

It really depends if it was transported upright or not - as long as it was, then there's little likelihood of any problems. The potential issue is if you transport it on it's side, then the lubrication runs out of the compressor into the piping, and if you don't wait for it to run back in (by leaving it stood the right way, for 24 hours or so), then when you plug it in the compressor can run dry, and cause damage.

In the later years of my old job, I delivered a LOT of appliances :D

I would suggest that you firstly record how the temperature of the freezer is fluctuating over time, as that will help work out if there is a problem and will allow you to see if any changes you make improve things.

The item you need is a "Temperature Logger". There are many to choose from.
That's how I would start. I use one of these to monitor temperatures for extended periods along with humidity in my freezer as well as my safe. Here is an example of a freezer chart:

Freezer Log Old.jpg

Pretty sure a Google of temperature data logger will bring up some less expensive flavors. A good data log will tell you exactly what your freezer is doing. Most freezers go through making cold followed by a warm and back to cold and cycle this way. The image runs from -5F to -20F and just cycles that way. You need to see what you have verse what you want and what the freezer manufacturer affords for specifications.

Ron

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back