Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Sound Card Oscilloscope, Generator, Spectrum Analyzer (FREE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danadak

Most Helpful Member
Quite capable instrument, free, for Audio type work.

Be sure to protect sound card inputs and outputs, google "protect sound card inputs", many approaches and
circuits on web.

Regards, Dana.

Years ago I measured the frequency response of a PC sound-card. It fell like a cliff below 20Hz and above 20kHz. Do all modern sound-cards have greater bandwidth?

Years ago I measured the frequency response of a PC sound-card. It fell like a cliff below 20Hz and above 20kHz. Do all modern sound-cards have greater bandwidth?

The clue is in the name 'sound' card :D

Filtered to cover the audio band, but I do remember mods for some sound cards to make it DC coupled for scope use.

I have been using Zelscope for years. I'll check this one out. I use a Focusrite Scarlett IO box, so I still not DC coupled, better BW than the typical sound card. ( cap coupled so of course no DC)

Bought a Hantek USB scope, but 8 bits+/- 2 and only 20mV/div was not of much use for audio and power supply work. Bummer as a 12 bit with .5mV/div is well over what I am willing to pay.

It was the +/- that was enough to give up.
I thought about a preamp. Build in nice over voltage protection. But I can buy another old Tektronix a lot cheaper. (Mine mystically both inputs went south. ) I don't have than many projects left, so I decided to move on.
If doing general digital work, it would have been a really slick tool. I remember "wayback" when the first digital storage came out. $50K and this one was $60!

It was the +/- that was enough to give up.
I thought about a preamp. Build in nice over voltage protection. But I can buy another old Tektronix a lot cheaper. (Mine mystically both inputs went south. ) I don't have than many projects left, so I decided to move on.
If doing general digital work, it would have been a really slick tool. I remember "wayback" when the first digital storage came out. $50K and this one was $60!

A suitable preamp would cost very little, google finds lots of examples:

Sure. If I wanted another project lots can be done. I don't. I have too many projects and only a few left require electronics. So, I will get by with what Zelscope, TrueRTA , Atra, Holm, RightMark, and REW can do. For $150 one can get a very good used Tektronix. Not worth it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back