Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Forum Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgibbs

Most Helpful Member
hi All,

IMHO its dissapointing to see such a poor response to the request by the site Admin asking members to become Forum Supporters,
especially those members who are very active on a daily basis.

Its a such a small sum of money for the individual member, but in total it will help to ensure that the Forum continues
to provide the very high standards that we are all used to.

ElectroMaster.
If I have spoken out of turn regarding this matter please accept my apology, its a point I feel strongly about.

This is the link:

Last edited:
I agree with Eric.

It is better to provide a bit of support then end up with a lot of annoying adds.

As I have said before. I paid a $100.00us to be apart of a site and have people verbally chew the crap out of me just so I could get some help fixing TV's and stuff.

We had a strong data base at the shop but, I would run across stuff way over my head that needed someone who had the answers.

There is a ton of people who know electronics and enough Jedi Masters to slice the crap out of poor designs here.

What your asking in support of the forum is small compared to the above amount. IMO.

kv :)

Last edited:
Is this a direct debit thing or is it a fee that you pay whenever you want it?

I don't mind making a one-off donation but I don't want to do a direct debit.

Also, I've noticed that some the more helpful members have become supporters. I would argue that they already give the forum enough support in the form of spending their time helping people. If you ask me, it should be the people who ask more questions than they answer who should be paying.

Is this a direct debit thing or is it a fee that you pay whenever you want it?

I don't mind making a one-off donation but I don't want to do a direct debit.

Also, I've noticed that some the more helpful members have become supporters. I would argue that they already give the forum enough support in the form of spending their time helping people. If you ask me, it should be the people who ask more questions than they answer who should be paying.

hi hero,
If you click the link on my post and then click the EM's link it gives details.:)

Last edited:
That still doesn't answer my question: is it via direct debit or can you choose to pay for six months and you won't be charged again?

That still doesn't answer my question: is it via direct debit or can you choose to pay for six months and you won't be charged again?

I had similar questions. I wanted just a one time donation and they did have it. But, I can't recall if they have 6 months ? It seemed like it was there.

I "think". Monthly / 6 months / 1 yr/ were the options.

kv:)

Last edited:
What do people without paypal accounts do?

Mike.

If you can find someone who does maybe ? Just give them the money let them do it.

If one of my friends came to me with the same situation I would do it for them.

kv :)

Just send your money to me! ;)
I will do my best to convince you it went where you wanted it to go!:D

SO if a person does or does not chose to support the forum who's going to look up or down at them any way?

I like it here but I have yet to decide if I will support it or not.
I personally dont care for supporting on line stuff.

I have had too many examples of its easy to sign up but then it takes three chiefs and a lesser god to get out of it.:mad: (XM radio subscription is one very good example)

Just send your money to me! ;)
I will do my best to convince you it went where you wanted it to go!:D

SO if a person does or does not chose to support the forum who's going to look up or down at them any way?

I like it here but I have yet to decide if I will support it or not.
I personally dont care for supporting on line stuff.

I have had too many examples of its easy to sign up but then it takes three chiefs and a lesser god to get out of it.:mad: (XM radio subscription is one very good example)

More of a donation than anything.

Those who are supporters and those who support with their time and valued knowledge and people who can do both. I don't mind paying my due's I do it in my community and I'm willing to do it here.

Hopefully this site will inspire bright minds just like yours to become tomorrows free thinkers and we all will benefit far beyond our ability to see the effect of the ripple in the future.

It's a good site and deserves those who are willing and can support it.

kv:D

Support

Thanks for bringing it back up Eric. I had planned to "donate" on payday and had forgotten about it. Just right timing.:D

Thanks for the reminder, too. I do wish there was a non-recurring option. In November I'm sure I'll be calling PayPal and asking who is "4D Web Hosting".

Should advertise better, there needs to be a common button on every page that allows you to become a forum supporter, no one's gonna use it if they have to hunt it down. There's one small text link on the main page. It doesn't even show up on sub forums the new posts page or anywhere else on the website that I can find. Start a ribbon campaign or something but not one complaint should be made about the lack of supports on a thread that died over 3 weeks ago that was just recently bumped because of this post. If you want money to run a business even if it's a not-for profit you have to treat it like a business. You want to instill a sense of desire to support the web site not try to guilt trip people into supporting it. Personally Eric I found your original post offensive, as I think that the people that post here on a regular basis are already forum supporters, nothing wrong with asking for money but the guilt trip is highly offensive, especially with such poor advertising of it.

Last edited:
I will likely toss in some financial support some time.
But until then I will keep helping when I can and try to change the world for the better by doing and showing rather than complaining and conspiracy theorizing!

hi All,

IMHO its dissapointing to see such a poor response to the request by the site Admin asking members to become Forum Supporters,
especially those members who are very active on a daily basis.

Its a such a small sum of money for the individual member, but in total it will help to ensure that the Forum continues
to provide the very high standards that we are all used to.

ElectroMaster.
If I have spoken out of turn regarding this matter please accept my apology, its a point I feel strongly about.

This is the link:

Well, here is the thing Eric. I am not on a limited income, rather no income. Currently I am living on savings and paying my way through school. I receive no grants, nor do I ask for government funding.

I have taken several classes without a textbook as the cost is prohibitive. My savings are dwindling and I am now racing the clock to graduate before I go broke.

If remaining a member of this forum requires me to spend more money that I am quickly being depleted of, then I would have to choose to no longer use this forum, which might make some people happy. :)

Sorry if that does not sit well with you.

Last edited:
Personally Eric I found your original post offensive, as I think that the people that post here on a regular basis are already forum supporters, nothing wrong with asking for money but the guilt trip is highly offensive, especially with such poor advertising of it.

I'm puzzled why you find my memory jogger thread offence.?
Did you find EM's original post offence, if so, why didnt you speak out then.?

Any donations that are made are not coming to me.:)

If you are stricken with guilt, well, that was not my intention.
You say in your post 'especially with poor advertising', so why is it wrong to refresh an earlier post, many poster do.

You also say that regular posters already support the Forum, I agree they do,
but I believe that members should have the option to support the Forum in other ways.
Forum donatation support is not mandatory.

Regards.

Last edited:
Well, here is the thing Eric. I am not on a limited income, rather no income. Currently I am living on savings and paying my way through school. I receive no grants, nor do I ask for government funding.

I have taken several classes without a textbook as the cost is prohibitive. My savings are dwindling and I am now racing the clock to graduate before I go broke.

If remaining a member of this forum requires me to spend more money that I am quickly being depleted of, then I would have to choose to no longer use this forum, which might make some people happy. :)

Sorry if that does not sit well with you.

hi Mike,
Why are members taking this thread so personally.?
All I am trying to do is to remind members of the EM's original post.

As EM pointed out, its an optional donation.
If anyone decides for whatever reason not to make a donation I dont have a problem with that.:)

IMHO if you dropped out of the Forum it would be a loss.

Last edited:
hi Mike,
Why are members taking this thread so personally.?
All I am trying to do is to remind members of the EM's original post.

As EM pointed out, its an optional donation.
If anyone decides for whatever reason not to make a donation I dont have a problem with that.:)

IMHO if you dropped out of the Forum it would be a loss.

Well Eric, to be honest, Your original post made me feel shame for not being a supporter, I then felt out of place. I now feel uncomfortable to not be a supporter.

Thanks for your last comment... :)

Well Eric, to be honest, Your original post made me feel shame for not being a supporter, I then felt out of place. I now feel uncomfortable to not be a supporter.

Thanks for your last comment... :)

Mike,
You are missing the point, you are a Forum supporter and why you should feel uncomfortable puzzles me.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back