Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Filter issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

The filter shown below is from an old National Application Note. The AN states that the Fo = 10 kHz.

My analysis gives a transfer function Vo/Vi = 1/(SCR + 1)^2 which leads to the -3dB point at Fo = 0.2152/CR = 9538 Hz.

This agrees roughly with the AN. But when I did the SwitcherCADII analysis (attached), the -3 dB point is at 4563 kHz.

So either National and I have made the same mistake in our maths or I have done somthing wrong in the SwitcherCAD simulation.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Attachments

• bode.gif
    bode.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 402
  • filter_802.gif
    filter_802.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 401
Hi Len, You don't have a Butterworth filter, it is a Bessel.
Calculating from the RC values, its response is down -6dB at 7092Hz.
The difference between a Bessel's -6dB response and a -3dB response for a 2nd order filter is 0.6434 so the -3dB frequency is 4563Hz. SwitcherCad is correct. :lol:

EDIT: Numbers corrected

It is the filter used in a Linkwitz-Riley crossover network for a speaker system. Since it has an even number of poles, it causes a null at the crossover frequency so one driver is inverted. If a Butterworth filter is used then with a driver inverted the frequency response has a +3dB peak at the crossover frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back