Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Favorite uC's

Which type of uC do you primarily use?

• Atmel AVR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PIC

• Motorola

• Other

• IC's are for wimps, I do it all with discrete components!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandledorf

I just thought it might be interesting to see where the loyalties lie in this community, as I keep hearing PIC thrown around, but rarely anything else.

AVR Forever!

I love to use the oldie 8051 family which is the most commonly used family in industry. :D

If you are talking about cheap, then also I'll use 8051 family because 89Sxx series from Atmel is the cheapest re-programmable FLASH ROM based uC available in the market. PICs and AVRs cost me 3 times more then 8051s.
Selection of a uC depends upon individual's taste and interest.

I personally use a PIC, but not for the reasons already cited above.

Where I live, I have access to one electronics store, or after a 45 minute drive, I can get to two others.

So my choice is realyy based around what I can get, not the price.

Incidentally, the 4MHZ PIC16F84A is the same price as one of the ATMEL chips at my local store.

The difference being the PIC is a small 18 pin DIP, the ATMEL is a 40? pin chip.

The PIC wins for that reason.

Plus, coupled with the problem that I just built a PIC programmer, and nothing for the ATMEL, that pretty well also pushes me in the PIC direction.

PS I did make the trip to the city, and have two 20Mhz 16F84A's to play with, but alas no crystal :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back