Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Favorite Micro? I get bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main processor right now is a Laptop running a packet sequencer I wrote in EXCEL utilizing the built in VBA to send serial data.

Hola Beau Schwabe

If the TS does not opose, could you elaborate on that. I always foun difficulties of different kinds to acchive it. The function serial comm never being available, the most frequent.

A legal version of current Win 10 and 2016 (IIRC) of Excel could make it? I am not scared of VBA.

If deemed convenient I could start a thread. Gracias.

If I know it right, still there are few space craft out there with the 1802.

Yes, they were used for their low power consumption, resistance to cosmic rays etc, and because they are easily reprogrammed remotely - as far as I'm aware a number of deep space probes used them? (the type aliens upgrade and send back, destroying everything in their path - except the Kirk!).

on the DOS note... Anyone besides me ever play with QBasic? Thats where i first learned about coding on PC..
Yeah!! I still have it running in dosbox Its free on abandonware..

...If the TS does not opose, could you elaborate on that. I always foun difficulties of different kinds to acchive it. The function serial comm never being available, the most frequent.

A legal version of current Win 10 and 2016 (IIRC) of Excel could make it? I am not scared of VBA.

I'm using Microsoft Excel 2010 along with NetCommW7 .... The old MSComm did not want to play nice. Aside from that, just a few google searches to figure out how to read the CELLS to formulate the Packet and read and write to the serial com .... It works on an indexing approach where a cell is clicked like a button and sends the sequence at a particular index (<-Row) at a certain column location in the row, there is a delay (time before next packet is executed) and in another column the next index to jump to. It's really quite crude, but effective for the intended purpose.

I have a current project that weighs in at 10 tons worth of metal
Sounds good.
Can you tell us what it is and what it does, or is that information commercially confidential?

JimB

I don't think I have any favourite microprocessors, just ones that I'm familiar with, and so those are the ones I use.

I've noticed that no one's mentioned TI's MSP430 series. Anyone use those?

The multi-drop serial , I am doing wireless with HC-12. theoretically up to 127 drops 0x80 address is used for ALL, 'Slave' TX delays prevent collisions, slave is configured remotely ..

Guys check it out. So tired. I'll write better tomorrow..

Ian I'm going to try and setup a little DOS box and get it running. I miss qbasic.. if for at least help me bring back some memory of my past.

If you can't find a copy I can send you one..

GW basic is also on there...

It's sad we miss these crappy programs... You'll be pulling your hair out very soon...

Was looking through.. saw the name Borland.. ugh I used to use Borland C++.. memories

Never used C++, but other Borland stuff was great - FAR faster than other compilers.

Quite amusing though that over the years, as processors got faster and faster, the in-built software loop 'Delay' routines started to fail, as the processors got so fast the counters over flowed. Luckily, they released a small program that edited the .EXE and cured the problem - a side effect of this, was that is was absolutely amazing how many commercial products were written used Borland compilers.

I first got my feet wet with a PDP11, some bright soul had taken a run of the mill data processing computer and turned it in to a CNC machine controller!
I modified the magnetic core memory teletype loader input for 'Modern' RS232 !
12 bit assembly.
Max.

IMG_18022020_155022_(1024_x_1024_pixel).jpg

Some of the toys...

Sounds good.
Can you tell us what it is and what it does, or is that information commercially confidential?
Can't tell you what it is or does because of NDA but I can show some of the machinery ...

Attachments

• Image1.JPG
    Image1.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Image2.JPG
    Image2.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Image3.JPG
    Image3.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Image4.JPG
    Image4.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 163
That carriage assembly reminds me of a machine that I worked on a few years ago. But, all of the microprocessors in that project were already embedded in the PLC, and in the motor controller. So, all I got to program were the PLC and the motion control program in the VFD. It was one of the first flux vector motor controllers that could position control a standard 2 HP 3 phase motor as fast and as precisely as a 2 HP servo motor.

magnetic core memory
My first 'repair' to take the spider out of the 256 byte core matrix..( first electronic cash register a huge great orange beast) may not have been the spider but it worked afterwards.. The next generation had bubble memory. :banghead: then some nonvolotile Toshiba -13.8 volts to 'write / save' before shut down' unfortunatly was prone to static corruption..:banghead: then NVram .. turned out non-NVram:banghead: then NiCd battery backed CMOS .. Batteries leaked :banghead: Then i got made redundant !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back