Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Favorite Micro? I get bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to learn about VFDs.. gonna google my toosh off. I've heard of them but have no real clue about them. I know it's a Variable Frequency Drive .. right?

If you think of a BLDC motor, it requires 3 phase. To make it go faster needs the 3ph at a higher frequency. That's about it.

Mike.

A vfd can just be a device that generates a variable frequency single or 3 phase o/p to run a motor.
However industrial vfd's can be a whole lot more complex with network interfaces & control functions.
Depends whether you just want to run a bldc motor, or build a machine to make some product.
I have a link to a page somewhere that shows you how to run a sensorless bldc with a arduino and dual h bridge.

My first 'repair' to take the spider out of the 256 byte core matrix.
Debugging in the original sense!

Oddly enough, the first machine tool computer repair I did was also core-memory related - cleaning the metal dust that was clogging it it up, presumably shorting the magnetic field and stopping it working. That was a Westinghouse-built minicomputer.

Most vfd I hookup are for setting speed and some reverse most tho are ramp up so the
100 or so hp of motor don't come on all at once and kick a 800 amp main lol

The simplest VFD's are basic variable frequency 3 phase inverters with a bit of motor protection. If you want to do servo style position control, then the VFD's become a lot more sophisticated. These are the flux vector control types. They have enough smarts built in that they can tell everything the motor is doing based on stator current (with phase angle), including a very good estimate of rotor position.

Wow. I'll check it out in a few.. hah I never would have guessed motor control can have such complexities. It's nice tho, to see the amount of knowledge out there and learn new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back