Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

express pcb layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

i made a schematic in expresssch and i linked it to expresspcb but it oes not create a pcb layout automatically. i read the help section and it says that link the sch file and it will helpl you make a pcb. the component manager in expresspcb has got spacing in mm and i dont now what spacings to sue. is there any way that my schematic can be converted in to pcb layout directly?

I couldn't find out how to link the two successfully either, did you run an error check on your schematic? You might also have to size the PCB first. But it is great for manual sesign.
I have written Express in the past and they have answered, try: support@expresspcb.com

I have my ExpressPCB set up in inches/10 but I don't remember how I did it.

yes there are no netlist errors.Also when i export the pcb (a simple example) in dxf format i dont get the wires can i know why?

manual design?i gues so. but if itcant make the pcb automatically then whats the use of having a schematic capture program?i think we should write about it to them.it should be working like eagle does but eagle doesnt export in to dxf file and i need dxf format!!!

Last edited:
Even the top end PCB programs require human intervention. I doubt you will find any low end program that performs a complete autoroute.

The sch. to PCB interface prevents you from making bogus connections. Back in the day of Bishop tape layout, wiring mistakes were common and frequent.

Last edited:
Even the top end PCB programs require human intervention. I doubt you will find any low end program that performs a complete autoroute.

The sch. to PCB interface prevents you from making bogus connections. Back in the day of Bishop tape layout, wiring mistakes were common and frequent.

Hi Mike,

I agree. This is no issue which anybody needs to report to the people who write the software--believe me, they know that their autorouters aren't perfect. :) Autorouting is a computationally intensive and conceptually difficult task. The computer best suited for the task is still the human brain.

Schematic capture software is really useful, but the autorouting is only a helper, not a total solution. In most cases a good amount of manual work will be required.

Torben

I use the autorouter (Eagle) to help me decide how good my component placement is. When the placement looks good, I route manually.

Details regarding pcb

hi this is gayathri krishnan and i am beginner of designing a layout.could u give the necessary information regarding this? how to make the spacings between the components?how to know the wattage of the components?........................please i needed your suggestions and your help regarding this

Rolf,
...ExpressPCB set up in inches/10 but I don't remember how I did it.
In PCB, look under pull-downs: VIEW>Options> Grid spacing...
In SCH: Use Snap box on the bottom of the screen

Wond3rboy,
i think we should write about it to them.it should be working like eagle does but eagle doesnt export in to dxf file and i need dxf format!!!
Since their software is proprietary to their board house, I don't think they are really interested in supporting you making your own boards or sending them to a competitor.

You get what you pay for. ;)

gayathrikrishnan,
how to know the wattage of the components?
You select the size package in the component list that fits the size (wattage) of the component you choose. Unlike Eagle, for generic passive components there is not a list of manufacture/model specific footprints. But you can make any component you want.

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back