Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Equiry about the addressing method for multiple messages for ISD2560

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincailo

Hi,

I'm now doing a project and need to record some segments of voice (for example voice1 till voice26) replay them randomly. There is a bit confusion and I hope that somebody may give me some hints.

First of all, I'm using ISD25120 with PIC16F877A to control it when to play.

So I plan to set up the circuit (for recording purpose only) without PIC as in the application notes of ISD25120, then connect all the address line A0 to A9 to push button. Then record the voice, record-EOM, record-EOM until all my voices recording is done. After that, (I want to know which sound store in what address), I play it back and use the push button for addresses (A0-A9 as I mention above) to determine which sound in what address. For example, 0000 0000 01 (A9-A0) it play back the voice1. So voice1 address is 0000 0000 01. Then after i determine all address for voice1 till voice26, I will write a C programming into my PIC, declare the address for voice1 till voice26 and when to play them (which input button to press to PIC input pins).

Question 1: actually how to set EOM? It will automatically set EOM when i finish record one voice? Since there is no push button or any switches in EOM pin. (in the application notes)

Question 2: my overall concept is correct?

Question 3: When I want to play back the voice, it should be will automatically playback right? So It is not using the push button for address only it will play back. How to set this?

Question 4: To erase all the voice I have recorded, it is I just need to reset my chip? Any other alternative?

Question 5: After I determine the address for all voices, then connect to PIC, my address pin (A0 till A9) still need to connect to PIC I/O pins? Since the datasheet stated not to connect them. But if not, my PIC will know what my program state about the address?

Hope you can understand what I mean.

Thank you.

Hi,

Attach the datasheet for ISD2560 series just in case you want to review it.

thanks.

Attachments

• ISD2560.pdf
    380 KB · Views: 381
Hi,

Attach the datasheet for ISD2560 series just in case you want to review it.

thanks.

Do you have the "Stand-Alone/Parallel Interface Products BASIC ADDRESSING" 6-page manual from Winbond?

What you will be doing with that, is determine the length and starting address of each message. I would setup the chip circuit in a breadboard with dip-switches and pull-down resistors on the address lines. You will set the address of the first message, at binary zero. Then use the pushbutton to record the message at that address. Change the dip-switches for the second address and record. And so forth for the other messages. You use these addresses in your PIC to select the Chipcorder's address lines of the messages you want played, and activating the PLAY input.

Ken

Thanks... Got another manual? I don't have that. What is it use for?

Do you have the "Stand-Alone/Parallel Interface Products BASIC ADDRESSING" 6-page manual from Winbond?

What you will be doing with that, is determine the length and starting address of each message. I would setup the chip circuit in a breadboard with dip-switches and pull-down resistors on the address lines. You will set the address of the first message, at binary zero. Then use the pushbutton to record the message at that address. Change the dip-switches for the second address and record. And so forth for the other messages. You use these addresses in your PIC to select the Chipcorder's address lines of the messages you want played, and activating the PLAY input.

Ken

The information in that will help you select specific addresses in the chipcorder's memory to place your messages. The PIC can then use these addresses to play back each message. I could not find a link at Winbond for this document, so I am attaching scanned copies.

I had said that you should set up a breadboard for recording, but there is no reason that the whole process could not be controlled by the PIC. Though the breadboard and manual operation might be better until you get comfortable with the address and control processes.

Ken

Attachments

• Scan1.pdf
    334.1 KB · Views: 612
  • Scan2.pdf
    330.2 KB · Views: 547
  • Scan3.pdf
    255.6 KB · Views: 428
  • Scan4.pdf
    174.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Scan5.pdf
    294.2 KB · Views: 481
  • Scan6.pdf
    310.9 KB · Views: 516
Ya, thank you very much. I get what you mean. So will try to understand the datasheet and try on breadboard first.

Thanks.

The information in that will help you select specific addresses in the chipcorder's memory to place your messages. The PIC can then use these addresses to play back each message. I could not find a link at Winbond for this document, so I am attaching scanned copies.

I had said that you should set up a breadboard for recording, but there is no reason that the whole process could not be controlled by the PIC. Though the breadboard and manual operation might be better until you get comfortable with the address and control processes.

Ken

Hi cincailo,

I wonder why you plan using the ISD2560. It is obsolete.

Check the ISD1700. It can be used as stand-alone and µP-controlled device.

It also has longer recording time.

Hi Boncuk,

Nice to see you. Ya, I know that ISD1700 series is a better choice and I have the ISD17240 sample chips as well but the problem is I can't manage to handle it. It is a much more challenging chip to understand compare to ISD2560. So I just plan to use ISD2560 first and after successfully done, will shift all things to ISD17240. Since I really feel that ISD2560 is much more simple compare to ISD17240 (although I still facing some problems), and I believe that It may give me some basic knowledge about ISD chip before I proceed to ISD17240.

Thanks.

Hi cincailo,

I wonder why you plan using the ISD2560. It is obsolete.

Check the ISD1700. It can be used as stand-alone and µP-controlled device.

It also has longer recording time.

Just want to make sure that the method of addressing that you told me actually I need to set my ISD into operational mode or do nothing about that? As you know that the A0 till A9 address bus can be address and can also be the selection of operational mode.

Thanks.

Ken

Just want to make sure that the method of addressing that you told me actually I need to set my ISD into operational mode or do nothing about that? As you know that the A0 till A9 address bus can be address and can also be the selection of operational mode.

Thanks.

If you look throw the addressing you will see that the "MODE" operations are set by A8 and A9. You will not be using "MODE", you will be using direct addressing. So, A8 and A9 are held low, and you will address the chip with A0 through A7.

Ken

Hi,

Facing a problem here. The CE is edge sensitive, is there any way to change it to level sensitive without entering the mode operation?

When playback, it will voice out sound1 but when the switch is not release, it will play sound1, sound2, sound3... continuously till the end or either when switch release. I don't want that. I want it to voice out sound1, even though the switch is not release, it is still sound1.

Have try to change the programming in PIC but seem no way to make it only voice sound1. So thinking is it the CE edge sensitive problem.

Any idea? Thank You.

From,

cincailo

If you look throw the addressing you will see that the "MODE" operations are set by A8 and A9. You will not be using "MODE", you will be using direct addressing. So, A8 and A9 are held low, and you will address the chip with A0 through A7.

Ken

Hi there. I'm going to start to the same cincailo's road....
ISD25xx series can be very useful if you have your MICRO running strong for others tasks. Parallel data adressing is light in terms of power so, you can keep free your PIC to examine the rest. And very simple code to write...
I love this solution!!!
Later...

Hi there. I'm going to start to the same cincailo's road....
ISD25xx series can be very useful if you have your MICRO running strong for others tasks. Parallel data adressing is light in terms of power so, you can keep free your PIC to examine the rest. And very simple code to write...
I love this solution!!!
Later...

But please bear in mind that ISD25xx is discontinued product from Nuvoton.

..... I've knew it yesterday.....
Anyway? i'll take a try by ISD17xx series, i've found 9 items of this at RS online and i'll try to get out the same result.
I've also found some piece of software for PIC to operate SPI and also i already got the Design Handbook from Winbond.
Later...

Ya, ISD17xx series will be good choice. I've 10 units of ISD17240 and still in the process to learn about their SPI mode.

..... I've knew it yesterday.....
Anyway? i'll take a try by ISD17xx series, i've found 9 items of this at RS online and i'll try to get out the same result.
I've also found some piece of software for PIC to operate SPI and also i already got the Design Handbook from Winbond.
Later...

Well.... i'll start to go deep in my ISD17240 about the end of this month.
Maybe would be ok for both keep our contact to exchange materials and experience in implementing it as slave of PIC.
Later..

Thanks David for hints...
Actually i've found an Honk Kong ebay seller where i have buyed (already received) 10 isd 2560, so, for now, parallel addressing will be my way. 17240 seems not a good choiche, instead 5116 woulb be nice (already found a C written driver for PIC to manage it). But, anyway, 2560 seems better to implement in a project already strctured due its semplicity (parallel addressing) and facility and low resource needed to run it.
To CINCAILO:
To got running by parallel addresing a 2560 is very simple; you have set up a time counter by your PIC and transfer data on addres inputs; put LOW play pin and after 20-30 ms put down CE. Then start the counter for time required to play only the frame you need, at timer owerflow, put again high CE and play pin (at moment i don't remember its number) and 2560 will stop playng.
In this way, you full bypass the needing to use EOM and/or OWF.
I'll go to implemet software in next days (now just realized a little try)
Let me know if you'll need more suggestion.
Later....
Later

Thanks for David and Pirvcb.

For ISD2560, there are actually a lot ways to run the parallel addressing. Understand your method but then how about when recording? I found out one problem about my method is that when recording. 1 location of address can record 0.1s for ISD2560, so what will happen if the voice recorded is 0.15s? It seem it will take 1.5 address location and start the second recorded voice from the 1.6s so the address for second address location will miss the initial voice. Get what I mean? Don't know this problem can eliminate or not by time counter method. Looking forward for your answer.

By the way, why ISD17240 is not a good choice? Just because you get the C programming for ISD5116? Can you send the C programming and related info about ISD5116 to me? Actually I have few ISD5116 on hand too, may survey it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back